Yellowing Headlights

can't remember my password, so had to re-create a login! :)

My 99 GS400 with HID has some pretty yellow looking headlights. I want them to look clear again........ie. almost new.

There are plenty of 'non-HID' headlights available at an almost reasonable price. If I remove my headlight unit from the car, will I be able to just swap the LENS with a non-HID headlamp unit?

Not that I expect any, but, are there any cleaners or polishers that would work at all with a buffing wheel or dremel?

There are plenty of 'non-HID' headlights available at an almost reasonable price.  If I remove my headlight unit from the car, will I be able to just swap the LENS with a non-HID headlamp unit?

In a word: NO. The reflectors in the housing are setup differently for the halogen and HID housings. Also, there is a place for the ballast and leveling computer at the bottom of the HID housing whereas the halogen housings do not have this space.

Try Meguir's Mirror Glaze Cleaner, Polish, and Detailer. The stuff worked wonders on my headlight plastic. I mean really nice like new. Also, you can use a buffer with the polish (or use polish compound like from a body shop).

metal polish,plexus,novus should all do the job from what many stated.try a search also on headlight cleaning and you should find alot of post on what worked for other members.i would try the novus plastic stuff i heard that works great.you can allways replace that lens with a new one but that will take some work and heat to get it off so i would adivse you to try to clean it first.

.:cheers: .:cheers:

All I can say is WOW!! The NOVUS product is absolutely AWESOME.

I had VERY LITTLE expectation that anything I tried would actually remove the yellowing on my headlight lens' but NOVUS DID!

I'll try to post some pictures here for everyone to see. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it and urge anyone with yellowing headlight lens to buy some!

I took the best pics I could with what I have available to me.....

Now, these pics are only with my using about 10 minutes of HAND polishing, and using their #2 product. I now plan to go back with a buffer wheel and the #3 product first, then work up to the #2, and finally the #1 finishing detail!! The headlights ought to look like new when completed!! :D :D

[url}http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82456

post-1-1081038137.jpg

• 2 weeks later...