Drop-in Or New Cold Air Intake

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...&CODE=12&CID=40

I have a K&N filter mounted in the stcck air box, but I got another air housing from a salvage yard and cut away the enclosure to create a more open element. I kept the stock air feed from the front grille. See the link above in the garage for a picture. It works pretty well as the stock K&N is a 10" filter (large surface area).

Others here have used the Injen and Blitz with good results (search threads to find more). Good Luck!

-Leo

I just finished installing a K&N FIPK cold air intake into my 2000 gs400. The car seems to run fine, but I think the cars 0-60 speed is slower then the factory air intake. How long does it take for the computer to properly adjust the air fuel flow ratio? Any advice is appreciated, and yes I removed the negative battery cable during the 45 minute install. Thanks!!

I did not stomp on the brake to release any residual power, but I did drive it like I stole it once it was all hooked up. Funny!! Also, I think I need to get the ECU recalibrated, is there a way to do it besides getting a new chip? Any suggestions on where I can get a new chip?

I did not stomp on the brake to release any residual power, but I did drive it like I stole it once it was all hooked up. Funny!! Also, I think I need to get the ECU recalibrated, is there a way to do it besides getting a new chip? Any suggestions on where I can get a new chip?

Pulling the 25 amp EFI fuse did the trick. I pulled the fuse for 5 minutes, then I pumped the brake pedal about 10 times (not sure why), and all is better. My car is pulling so much harder. Thanks for the advice!! :rolleyes:

I have a K&N filter mounted in the stcck air box, but I got another air housing from a salvage yard and cut away the enclosure to create a more open element. I kept the stock air feed from the front grille. See the link above in the garage for a picture. It works pretty well as the stock K&N is a 10" filter (large surface area).

Did you find performance wise that it was a complete waste of time? Considering that the ECM monitors and controls air flow, it sounds like all these "cold air" and "special filter" mods are useless.

After I modded the airbox, I reset the ECU and "drove it like I stole it" as they say. The acceleration seems better (no more characteristic big lag) and my 0-60 time is a tad faster according to my watch.

I plan on getting the ECM computer reprogrammed to a Stage 1 or Stage 2 profile. That should make for a noticable improvement as a whole as the computer uses the increased air more effectively. Better exhaust flow will help as well.

Some guys on LOC claim a dyno read of 10HP increase with the Blitz air kit. Other cars post even better numbers with K&N air intake upgrades-but they usually tweak their ECM/ECUs as well.

Have you tried resetting the EFI fuse? It does work as described.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been many discussions on this here in this forum and in the UK club section in the past. I am sure you can find more if you search a bit.

At the risk of grossly oversimplifying, the reset allows your car's control unit to "re-learn" your driving preferences (e.g., hard accelleration vs. gradual accelleration). The typical outcome is that the car is more responsive and the characteristic "lag" in the transmission that develops (affecting acceleration) disappears. It's a pretty easy thing to try if you are curious.

I wish I had more info on the sensors, etc. as GuyTelefunken asserts these mods should not have any effect. I can attest (as others like DannV have) that the open element and reset (and the reset alone) do improve the cars acceleration. It seems that the first gen cars respond more to this stuff than the later models. Does anyone have a theory/info on why that might be?

This is the key bit for real improvements:

"It also includes an ECU that recalibrates the air-fuel ratios for optimal performance and enhanced fuel economy."

This what I want from a JET reprogramming for my '93. I wish a kit like this existed for the Gen I cars!