92 Mr2 Turbo Vs. 92 Sc400

Gentlemen,

Please keep things on an intellectual level. We are all learning here. If you don't agree, say so politely. Explain why and go from there. You have a learning opportunity. No need to get hostile or offensive. No one has yet, but we are getting border line here and we like to keep this forum strictly informational and entertaining. Not offensive.

That said:

Fuel cut defender. Supra guys use this (as well as other factory turbo cars) to boost higher on the stock turbos. If you simple splice in a bleeder T or shim the gate, the oem computer will see this higher boost and shut down the motor until the boost is back in the safe range. It cuts the fuel. This is dangerous for the motor and possibly the driver, but can be done safely within reason.

If you turbo the na motor, no need to worry about fuel cut in this situation.

Thanks guys.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen,

Please keep things on an intellectual level.  We are all learning here.  If you don't agree, say so politely.  Explain why and go from there.  You have a learning opportunity.  No need to get hostile or offensive.  No one has yet, but we are getting border line here and we like to keep this forum strictly informational and entertaining.  Not offensive. 

That said:

Fuel cut defender.  Supra guys use this (as well as other factory turbo cars) to boost higher on the stock turbos.  If you simple splice in a bleeder T or shim the gate, the oem computer will see this higher boost and shut down the motor until the boost is back in the safe range.  It cuts the fuel.  This is dangerous for the motor and possibly the driver, but can be done safely within reason. 

If you turbo the na motor, no need to worry about fuel cut in this situation.

Thanks guys.

I think what you are refering to is a simple boost controller, these serve the same basic purpose but the FCD operates a little differently.

What do you mean the MR2 didn't beat you?  Why do I get the feeling he/she didn't know how to drive that car.:blushing::whistles:

was it suppose to beat me? if you compute the power to weight ratio of the 92 MR2 Turbo to my model of the SC400 which is the lightest -i think 3600lbs due to lack of options like heated seats or trac control- i would win anyways.

well for correct numbers: there are 14.5 lbs for every horsepower in the mr2 and i beat it by 14.4 for every horsepower in my car.

and if you look up quarter mile times for the mr2 turbo and sc400, they are almost identical, except my year and model is the lighter of the sc400's.

Actually, the MR2 was definitely supposed to take out your car. Somethings wrong here.

Your car weighs, what 3200 after your weight reduction? The MR2 weighs 2825lbs and is a mid-engine/RWD. Better power to weight ratio'd, compared to the 92 SC400. Somethings wrong. The MR2 should have beat your car hands down.

What are the Specifications for you SC? Also, what's your 1/4mile time?

Lexual,

I'm referring to a simple, cheap way to raise boost on a stock turbo motor. Disconnect the gate and modulate the throttle or go boom. Or put a bleeder on the gate signal or shim the gate actuator or a combination of both. I recommend none of them. But if I had a cheap turbo car I didn't care about - I'd do it.

The fuel cut defender stops fuel cut on turbo cars that are boosted higher running the stock ecu that does not want to boost higher than it is programmed. Where are we going wrong here?

Anyways - if the guy says he won, he probably did. Good show. End of story.

Have you ever hit the speed limiter? in mine, the car jerks like it hit a brick wall and you come off boost regardless so once the fuel cut hits, youre going to lose boost anyways.

whats the speed limiter on the sc4? somewhere between 100 and 110 if im correct. with the somewhat high geared tranny on the sc4 + its cd + its power, hitting that speed limiter should be VERY noticeable and potentially dangerous at speeds that high.

Actually, the MR2 was definitely supposed to take out your car. Somethings wrong here.

Your car weighs, what 3200 after your weight reduction? The MR2 weighs 2825lbs and is a mid-engine/RWD. Better power to weight ratio'd, compared to the 92 SC400. Somethings wrong. The MR2 should have beat your car hands down.

assuming stock hp numbers:

250/3200=0.078125

200/2825=0.070796

ummm... the sc has the power:weight advantage. lol, you owned yourself on that one :P.

Well, on my Soarer, and all japanese cars i think, the speed limiter is set at 180kph(111mph?). Most of the cars are supposed to make some stupid ding noise if you go over 100kph or something like that. Im just glad mine doesnt. But yeah, hitting the speed limiter when youre accelerating through third isnt very nice

Ok as for the weight to power ratio lets start with some more specifics lets assume for sake of argument they were both 1992 models

1992 SC400 250/3575 (the actual weight) is .0699

1992 MR2 Turbo 200/2758 (again actual weight) is .0725

So the MR2 has an advantage.

Then on top of that the mr2 has 200 ft-lbs of torque at 3200 rpm where as the lexus has 260 ft-lbs but at 4400 rpm so once again the mr2 has an advantage because the torque is helping it get up and go earlier in the rev range.

helps if the numbers are accurate but the MR2 should have won assuming all is stock

I noticed somwhere something about wegiht reduction to the sc what exactly did you drop out of it?

Have you ever hit the speed limiter?  in mine, the car jerks like it hit a brick wall and you come off boost regardless so once the fuel cut hits, youre going to lose boost anyways.

whats the speed limiter on the sc4? somewhere between 100 and 110 if im correct. with the somewhat high geared tranny on the sc4 + its cd + its power, hitting that speed limiter should be VERY noticeable and potentially dangerous at speeds that high.

I have hit 110 111ish mph without the limiter kicking in never took it any faster

Actually, the MR2 was definitely supposed to take out your car.  Somethings wrong here.

Your car weighs, what 3200 after your weight reduction?  The MR2 weighs 2825lbs and is a mid-engine/RWD.  Better power to weight ratio'd, compared to the 92 SC400.  Somethings wrong.  The MR2 should have beat your car hands down.

assuming stock hp numbers:

250/3200=0.078125

200/2825=0.070796

ummm... the sc has the power:weight advantage. lol, you owned yourself on that one :P.

Hites:

A Stock SC400 weighs 3700lbs, and is this supposed to be the Power:Weight Ratio time for the 1/4mile?

okay...there seems to three topics being discussed at once, so il try to lay it out clearer.

power/weight: 92 sc400: 3575lbs divided by 250hp = 14.3lbs/hp

92 mr2 turbo: 2888 divided by 200hp = 14.44lbs/hp (more weight per horsepower)

**the information i got here is from skyline college of san bruno, california where they are sponsored by toyota crazily, almost every car, even the notorious trueno, by toyota is in this school. ALL of their info is straight from toyota.

weight reduction: what weight reduction?? no idea where the 3200 figure came from, except i took out the spare tire. BUT the mr2 have 17'' chromes, and remember, they come with 14'' stock rims.

Lexual: as for takeoff and torque. i too thought the MR would get a better start, but it didn't. we both had a very good start, both of our tires chirp'ed but no one stood still and peeled out, so i thought it was a great start for both and it was a tie for both until i reach about 1/8 mi and took off. don't believe it? i say you try it, that ONE race does not guarantee all of the sc's and mr2's race results.

**i may have won thank to the BFI and resonators taken off. just by looking at the old air box compared to the BFI, im sure many of us can tell without taking the car to the road that there will be a difference. I also grounded my vehicle adequately because it was suggested by the instructors of skyline college. they say it would give me bigger sparks, GO TRY IT and tell please let me know your experience. <---if you think what i have said is foolish, then you must also think that i didn't beat that MR2. but too bad i have no reason to lie, he (mr2 driver) is a fantastic stick shift driver and he knows his car very well, and yes, i beat him.

speed limiter: i never hit it either and i went passed 110 before.

Yeah, on the traffic safety video that they show us here, the car goes on the highway and sets off the speed warning dinger. Ive never been in a car that has had it though. If anyone ever buys an old car, usually its a junked one and they mod the crap out of it so when they go to re-register it, it gets registered with whatever insane crap they could fit in the engine bay

Then on top of that the mr2 has 200 ft-lbs of torque at 3200 rpm where as the lexus has 260 ft-lbs but at 4400 rpm so once again the mr2 has an advantage because the torque is helping it get up and go earlier in the rev range.

but what does the torque curve look like? the torque curves of turboed and na/eaton-roots supercharged cars are noticeably different.

and if you want to challenge any of the things i've posted that refers to skyline or the instructors of skyline

I'm not gonna challenge what you've posted, but how about I challenge you to a little Skyline Blvd race.

We'll go from the stoplight at Skyline and College up towards Westborough (I'm giving you the advantage by going uphill)

PM me. :D

i hate to extend this post, but i would appreciate it if BlackSC4 could tell us what he did to improve the grounding of his engine. i had heard (but forgotten) that this would help the spark, but it sure makes sense as you need a complete electrical circuit, with low resistance

but what does the torque curve look like? the torque curves of turboed and na/eaton-roots supercharged cars are noticeably different.

its pretty flat

for the mr2 hmm let me see if i can dig up my old toyota and lexus books with the graphs...another thing that has gone on mentioned is how much power actually gets to the wheels the lexus loose alot of power through the tranny dont know about the mr2

sportcoupe, i seem to be unable to PM anyone, so we can organize a meet on this thread if you dont mind. i can do it anytime this week. and well, if you dont mind, i have 2 12's and 1 10inch subs in my car that takes a lot of work to take out again, so i prefer leaving it in there. <---if i lose, i won't whine about them in there. would you liek to check out the MR2 i raced too? we can do a 3-car race.

joedoc, when you ground your car, everything works better. your ecu works better also. i think it's a pretty vital upgrade many people do not look into. my friend dropped a B18 motor in his 91 SI and it was running terribly rough. it took us about 2 months to realize that it needed to be grounded better. we grounded the engine to the shock towers then to the battery (using the shock tower like a distributor). if you are looking into this, dont buy those overpriced grounding kits. all you need is some 4 gauge monster cable and tongues. let me know if you need further assistance.

Haha....you have 3 subs.

Now if I lose I'll really be embarrassed. :D

Although you do have 1 full liter on me.

I guess I'm relying more on my shifting.

Anyways, 3 car races can get a bit difficult (dangerous) especially on Skyline (and that's the best local place I know for from-the-line racing)

Maybe we'll take turns.

I'm thinking late-night race since skyline is rarely empty long enough during the day.

Lemme know what you think.

If you wanna take this off the boards, my e-mail is nalan12@sanbrunocable.com

I wish you guys were near me. I'd whoop ya all. ;) Please take it to pm's if you are going to organize any such activity though. Be safe guys. I'm not sure why your PM function won't work. Reboot and try it later. If you still have trouble post it in the website suggestion forum and we'll see if we can get you set up.