92 Mr2 Turbo Vs. 92 Sc400

well, i've posted this topic up a while back about my sc400 going up against my friend's mr2 stock turbo. many you the experts of LOC said that they'd bet on the mr2 turbo. well, i took him pretty good, so good news to the SC community!

here's what the MR2 had:

above 80% of stock compression

HKS blow off valve

brand new clutch that just been broken into

TRD short shifter

and he said he did something that made his turbo stay on boost longer<== i'm not super familiar with turbos

my SC400 had:

also above 80% compression, i think mines is even a little lower, i forgot the exact numbers.

BFI

resonators taken off

hella ground wires, and i rewired the power cable

so we both are almost completely stock

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boost stay on longer??? i think what your friend ment to say is i left my foot on the gas :P There is no way to have boost stay on longer you can increase your boost to more psi and if that is what he did i have troubles beileving you won...hmmm maybe you should ask your friend again.

that is really pulling at something...anybody with turbo that has done work and knows anything wouldnt say stay on longer they would say it spools faster...it just sounds fishy anyway you look at it

quicker spool up could mean "stay on longer" meaning boost comes on earlier

you saying that he probably swapped out the stock turbo for a ceramic ball-bearing turbo? if he did that, then he would probably say that instead of "stay on boost longer". whoever this kid is, tell him hes a dumbass for me :P.

well yes he sounds stupid but unrestrictive filters can alter the spool chatacteristics, one of my friends had an HKS VPC installed and got rid of the flapping gate air flow sensor and that thing spools up in a hurry

Well, as for boost staying on longer, there are a few ways to interpret that. There is such a thing as actuators creping open and keeping you boost curve down. It will spool up the same, but you wont have as much boost as you could at that rpm. you can shim the actuators so that they will stay closed longer and give you more low boost and increase your top end. Also, on the CT26 (which he should have) they came with the safety valve which would shut down the boost if it overboosted or went over stock levels if i understand it correctly.

So, does anyone else besides me have turbos now that im thinking about it?

he showed me this little device me actually put together using capacitors, resistors, transitors and all these crap i didn't know about. maybe he was just fooling me, but he's at his final stages of being a certified mechanic and he's taking the automotive ECU class, i dont think he has a reason to lie. maybe something we havent heard that doesnt do much to go spend money on? but comon, dont call someone stupid because they may (or not) know something we all dont.

well since everyone was so quick to judge my friend, i jsut gave him a call to let him say something. he said it is formally called a "fuel cut disabler". "your fuel cuts off when your ecu reads that you've said on boost too long and cuts off fuel so you dont blow your engine. i let the stay stay on just a bit longer, but enough to make a win/lose difference."

I've got some real good race stories from our trip. Just got back. About the boost thing, a simple bleeder or shimmed gate will allow more. That's it. I am also suprised the 400 came out over a turbo mr2, but hey, props man. Nice job.

I'll post up some stories tomorrow night. But for summary:

Dead:

z3 //M

z3

98 corvette

1990 something impreza

More hondas than I can shake a stick at

IS300

Another SC

M3

Impala - the ls1 mid 90's version (it had spinners)

These kills were on the interstate to and from Daytona Beach. I lost two races. One was because I missed a gear.

I also met some cool lexus and toyota guys in Dayotona Beach. BMsport (Matt) - thanks for meeting up with us. He has a project SC going down now that will impress. All done by himself. But hopefully he will come by here and share the details. I also met a few other guys I'll write all about. Somone was asking who is turboed around here. There are lots. It's too much fun. Until some kid hits your car in the rear quarter. Don't ask. Anyways, I'll write all about it tomorrow night. I need to get some sleep. Wait till you see the pictures. ;)

What do you mean the MR2 didn't beat you? Why do I get the feeling he/she didn't know how to drive that car.:blushing: :whistles:

was it suppose to beat me? if you compute the power to weight ratio of the 92 MR2 Turbo to my model of the SC400 which is the lightest -i think 3600lbs due to lack of options like heated seats or trac control- i would win anyways.

well for correct numbers: there are 14.5 lbs for every horsepower in the mr2 and i beat it by 14.4 for every horsepower in my car.

and if you look up quarter mile times for the mr2 turbo and sc400, they are almost identical, except my year and model is the lighter of the sc400's.

well since everyone was so quick to judge my friend, i jsut gave him a call to let him say something. he said it is formally called a "fuel cut disabler". "your fuel cuts off when your ecu reads that you've said on boost too long and cuts off fuel so you dont blow your engine. i let the stay stay on just a bit longer, but enough to make a win/lose difference."

what re you talking about? your friend has a fuel cut defencer. one of a variety of fine products made by HKS. the fuel cut defence splices into the Stock ECU and overides the built in saftey function that keeps you from over boosting. (like you KINDA said) anyways i dont know if you are familiar with turbo's but your friends turbo is not staying on longer it is just boosting higher. i would venture to say that you mean the wastegate is staying open longer but then again if your unfamiliar with a fuel cut DEFENSER i doubt you would be familiar with a waste gate

what re you talking about? your friend has a fuel cut defencer. one of a variety of fine products made by HKS. the fuel cut defence splices into the Stock ECU and overides the built in saftey function that keeps you from over boosting. (like you KINDA said) anyways i dont know if you are familiar with turbo's but your friends turbo is not staying on longer it is just boosting higher. i would venture to say that you mean the wastegate is staying open longer but then again if your unfamiliar with a fuel cut DEFENSER i doubt you would be familiar with a waste gate

lexual, where on this entire forum did i ever said anyone owning an HKS fuel defenser. and since you are correcting my linguistics, you should check the meaning of defenser and disabler, they are synonyms, if "defenser" is even a word.

I bet my twin superturbocharged rotary V8 Soarer Cobra GT-R could beat a MR2. I hate to say it, but a win is a win. I had to give one to the Skyline that didnt beat me, but i couldnt keep going(damn hose clamp blew off), so he won by default. Even though i did beat him in a race right before that one. Who cares if hes got a fuel cut defender, defenser, FCD, however you want to say it. Youd be surprised what you can learn from other people if you just give em a chance. This guy might even know how to make his own FCD. Not like its hard, but if we're puttin him down, why would he share any knowledge?

I know all about the rear quarter panel too....

been looking at the SC300 lexus for a while and stumbled onto this fourm and well this post that just disgusted me... i am a MR2 turbo owner, and in general you guys have no respect for those of us with shallower pockets

about the boost staying on longer.... the stock ct-26 CAN NOT hold "full boost" (16-18psi for that turbo) past 5500 rpm, it just doesnt flow enough air. his turbo is clipped or upgraded, like mine which can hold 22psi+ to redline which is pleanty to blow my head gasket

about the FCD (fuel cut defender/defencer) it is the easiest thing to bypass and the 1st modification done to almost any mr2 turbo, basically you trick the guage to read 6-8psi but the computer still reads the correct boost level so all is good fuel wise etc etc. the FCD is off the stock guage so it (the fuel cut) isnt tripped

i havent gotten all over one of these lexus' yet but i would imagine any slightly tuned mr2 turbo (basically any turbo with pushing consistant 18psi to redline) with a decent driver would be able to win in a race against an sc300 easy and be able to win most of the time against the sc400 (just from #'s)

PS: Sorry for spelling errors