Passenger Side Power Window Does Not Work

Hi, guys. This is my opening thread, and I hope to learn a lot from you guys.

I have a problem with my passenger side power window. In short, the right side power window is dead. I cannot roll it up or down with the right side power window switch, nor does the master power window switch roll it up or down. However, an amateur mechanic I know working at a used car lot told me that in his opinion the master power window switch needs to be replaced. He finds that there is nothing wrong with the window motor, as he easily rolled the window up and down using an external power source. The fault, he thinks, is in the master switch, because he thinks that the passenger power switch is merely an extension of the master power window switch.

So far, I shopped on eBay motors and bought three switches cheaply, since I did not see the point of paying $200-400 for a new master switch. So far, all three switches failed to open or close the front passenger window, and one rolled the right rear window down, but not back up.

I wonder if the fault is something other than the master switch?

Does anyone here have an idea of what I should do here. There is a new master power window switch for $200 that I might want to grab, but I want a second opinion before I pull the trigger.

As unbelievable as it sounds you may just need to reset the car's computer.

I had a similar problem. The driver's master switch would raise and lower three windows but not the passenger's window. A difference from your situation is that the passenger's window switch would work.

Recently, the battery had to be replaced and the windows initalized. Suddenly, the master switch worked perfectly on all windows.

Just disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, or so, and then initalize the windows and etc. as outlined in your manual. Hope it works.

Oh, and you'll need to reset your radio, seat belt chimes, and seat positions.

I have a similar prob with the driver's side window in my '94 es. I dug into the factory service manual, and under the troubleshooting section for the windows for this type of problem it recommends replacing the master switch first, then if that doesn't work, then the motor. I suspect my master switch is bad and have one coming in (ebay) as they are impossible to find in the junk yards unless you get there when an es300 is being dropped down, ditto for the regulator/motor.

In your case, since the motor is running fine, and you've already tried the master switch, suggest the door switch?

I like the reset idea, altho in my case the window actually goes up and down but intermittently and verrry slowly.

LL

• 1 month later...

I just got my rear left side window to work after 3 years of it not working. Luckily it was stuck in the "up" position. So I took the rear door panel off, peeled back the weather membrane, disconnected the wires and door handle, loosened the 4 bolts on the motor then put it all back together again. Somehow it fixed the problem! Worth a shot. O'Reilly Auto wanted $310 for the motor and didn't carry the regulator so that would've been purchased thru the dealer. I read that holding button up or down for 12 seconds and slamming the door a few times while still holding switch worked - but not for me. Also read that loosening the motor and having it lowered a hair worked too. Mine was at its lowest spot but still didn't work. Wish I knew what I did that fixed the problem.

Congrats Greg.

I never posted the "rest of the story" to my driver's side front window problem. So I did get a new swtich, swapped it in and still no movement. I was disheartened, but kept at it, first checking the wiring from the switch to the motor, that was ok too. I finally took out the motor itself and then seeing the bushings were really crudded up, took a file to them and burnished the surfaces, all this after having removed the armature and screw from the motor housing. I recall reading about this on another thread in the archives. I put it back in thinking "if it's already broke, can't really break it anymore..." Plugged the swtich back in, and damn, it worked, and continues to work. Beats paying a buck quarter for a rebuilt motor (I've a 94 es, parts a bit cheaper).

So Greg, I bet you're removal of the motor, losened up something, like a jammed screw to gear surface, or even something making the bushings not work right. I suspect that is the reason why slamming the door works as well.

LL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I am having the same issues with my windows. I have a 2000,RX300. But my Sunroof will not close. I push the switch but it will try to close but revert to the open position. I actually had to hold the button & shut off the car once it got to the close position, I have not opened since. Driver window goes down but won't go up, I wait a couple of hours & then it will go up, If it was open slightly, when I use the up switch, the window goes down & stays down. I also tried the passenger side window & it had the same issue using that switch. Opened but won't close. Mechanics keep telling me it may be the motors. I don't think both motors would go bad. I haven't tried the rear windows yet or I haven't used the reset feature yet. Not sure why my Sunroof also started at the same time.

Any suggestions?