Newbie With Gs Tire Question

BlkGS400

Guys-

Have been checking out the site for the past few months and have learned a lot! I have searched and searched but couldn't find an answer to my question...so here it goes.

I have an all stock 2000 GS400 with 16" wheels. I can't afford to upgrade my wheels right now, but wanted to go with a wider tire. I currently have 225/15/16 on the stock rims. What is the widest tire anyone has gotten on the 16" stock wheel? I wanted to upgrade to a 255/50/16- will that fit? Or will I need to limit it to a 235 or 245?

Any information that can be provided would be appreciated!

Thanks for the help.

Contact a few tire dealers & ask them the same question in addition to the suggestions on here. They have info on the largest fitments for wheels. B) What tires are you thinking of getting?

:cheers:

You most likely won't be able to get a wider tire until you switch to a wider rim. You should be able to go to a lower-profile tire.

BTW: Your tires should be same as my SC300 225/55/r16.

My question to you is what are you trying to do with your GS, and what exactly do you want to do with your GS?

UCF-

You are right...I had a typo in my original post...my tires are 225/55/16.

Basically, I think that the car will look better and handle better with a wider, lower profile tire on it. Ultimately, I want to move to a 17" rim...but I will be needing tires here in the next few months.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

UCF-

You are right...I had a typo in my original post...my tires are 225/55/16.

Basically, I think that the car will look better and handle better with a wider, lower profile tire on it. Ultimately, I want to move to a 17" rim...but I will be needing tires here in the next few months.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I believe the stock 16s are 16x7.5. Those wheels are comfortable running a 225 tire. 235 will be pushing it but it may work, although I wouldn't risk it. I don't think the 245 will fit.