Mmmmm Oil Changes

Lexual

As some of you may remeber I was having some low end torque loss since recent repairs on my car. Well today I got around to a little more maintance an oil change and new bosch platinum +4 plugs. And magically i have craps loads of low end torque again....god bless oil changes

Just for those of you who are curious about oils i used a Mobile1 15w-50 high performance oil today it is very thick but once it heats up it runs smooth as day. I otped for this as just a new thing plus i drive really hard and live in arizona and we have already hit 96 degrees...to early for that kind of heat.

i am interested in hearing more about those plugs--is that the plug with the 4 electrodes? i had been advised to stick with the NGK (i believe that those are the original equiptment) but had been very happy with bosch plugs in previous cars.

When i took out the old plugs...which i beileve to be orginal they were bosch platnium...i have always had real good luck with the plus4. as far as NGK the irdium isnt worth the money I hear the type R are good but the car said to use platnium tip so i did

Biggest difference between the platinum and irdium is the strength of the metal. From what I read, in normal circumstances both should last forever but irdium has higher failure point. I read that while back in plug comparison of all types, they also compared the Bosch + which they didn’t find any difference in performance on average cars. I just order the new NGK rdium + which is even stronger than the one that came with our cars as an original equipment. It also says it will burn cooler because of the finer tip. My work for this week is replacing the distributor cap-rotor and plugs and throwing away the original after 120k. I was at the dealer yesterday to buy the parts and found 320k LS400 getting its 25k service. Incredible how long a well maintained 400 can last, and yes it included trans flush for those who believe the trans flush is for newer cars only. According to the mechanic a traveling salesman drives the car and he did his 25k checkups ever since it was new.

the spark will travel to the electrode w/ the least resistance. so it will fire only once...even though it has 4 electrodes...this is on a stock ign system i'm referring to.

I prefer NGK/Denso on plugs with japanese cars...but it's up to you on what you decide to use.

I would stick to the recommended oil weights of 5W30 or 10W30. If you have extreme ambient temperatures go with mobil one. I put in NGK irdium plugs and my car drives perfectly well. I was told that the iridium plugs could have some problems in extremely cold start up situatons but I have not experienced any. Go with a good oil filter from lexus or wixx etc. Don't use a cheap model purolator filter etc. or you will be wasting the money you spent on the synthetic oil.

• 1 month later...

Hello. I just purchased a 97 sc-300 and intend to apply what I have learned over the, whew, I just counted, fifty-five years, to the care and grooming of this, my first luxury sports car. I am pleased. Oil changes are the cheapest maintainance in the world. I have a Mazda MX-6 with 178k miles and she gets the same mileage as the first tank, 29-30 with that cute 2.4 six. I changed the oil at 300miles, 700 miles, fifteen hundred miles and every approx 3k miles after that. Talk about compulsive, hey, most of the wear takes place during those early miles with break-in friction breaking down those long molocule chains in the oil, turning 10w40 into, in my way of thinking, 5w5, 5w10. Transmission got changed every 35K with Swepco, a good premium gear oil. Wonder if they make something for an auto, anybody know? Anyhoo, it is truly good to read all the interest you have in your cars. Lawrence Benz