Remote Key Burning Through Batteries

branshew

Recently my remote key seems to be burning through batteries. I have replaced the battery 3 times in the last 6 months and it is starting to go again. I am using both Duracell and Energizer brand batteries. I have made no additions to my keyring and have been carrying my keys the same way for the last 4 years so I don't think that anything is accidentally pressing on the buttons. It's almost as if there is some sort of parasitic drain happening. Any thoughts?

Recently my remote key seems to be burning through batteries. I have replaced the battery 3 times in the last 6 months and it is starting to go again. I am using both Duracell and Energizer brand batteries. I have made no additions to my keyring and have been carrying my keys the same way for the last 4 years so I don't think that anything is accidentally pressing on the buttons. It's almost as if there is some sort of parasitic drain happening. Any thoughts?

Is this for your 02 ES?

The battery on that type of remote should be lasting YEARS. I had my '03 RX300 from 2005-2009 without ever changing the battery, and it uses the same key.

Do you have another master key or just the one?

^^ Appears as though some moderation is required in the post above.^^

I apologize for the poorly written and gramatically structured response. I must have been trying to type and compose while taking a nap at the same time.

As before, I suggest going to a Lexus dealer and have them check out your master key. You can't just repair one, if it is the problem you'll have to buy a new one.

Having said that, "cduluk" is very good with these areas and It sounds like he might have a different idea/solution in mind.

I apologize for the poorly written and gramatically structured response. I must have been trying to type and compose while taking a nap at the same time.

As before, I suggest going to a Lexus dealer and have them check out your master key. You can't just repair one, if it is the problem you'll have to buy a new one.

Having said that, "cduluk" is very good with these areas and It sounds like he might have a different idea/solution in mind.

I wasn't referring to your post. There was originally another post by a new member below yours with some jabber about LiON batteries for hybrids steering towards a link to some sort of aftermarket warranty. That appears to have since been deleted.

To answer cduluk's question, this is for my 02 and I only have one Master key.

If the issues gets worse, I'll have to do something, but I could go through a lot of batteries before I would hit the cost of a new master key.

branshew, on 07 Aug 2013 - 10:52, said:

Paul A., on 06 Aug 2013 - 21:19, said:

branshew, on 05 Aug 2013 - 14:52, said:

I wasn't referring to your post. There was originally another post by a new member below yours with some jabber about LiON batteries for hybrids steering towards a link to some sort of aftermarket warranty. That appears to have since been deleted.

To answer cduluk's question, this is for my 02 and I only have one Master key.

If the issues gets worse, I'll have to do something, but I could go through a lot of batteries before I would hit the cost of a new master key.

Let us know how things work out.

Paul