New Lexus Owner, No Hawaii Navigation Maps?

Arpae

Just bought our first Lexus and so far, we're thrilled with the car. Long story made short, The car was originally purchased and owned in California and we recently had it shipped to Hawaii. To our dismay, the navigation system (Generation 4, or so I've been told) does not include maps for Hawaii and my dealership has informed me there is no mapping available for my vehicle with the current navigation system installed in the car.

I can't imagine I'm the first one with this case and would like to had a functional system in my car. Can I just buy an upgraded DVD for the system, or do I need to upgrade the whole thing? What steps do I have to take and what equipment do I need to purchase to have this system work on the islands? We live on Oahu if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance.

You are certainly not the first Haole to not understand that the LS430 and other cars sold in Hawaii through Servco are different than those sold on the U.S. mainland - sometimes VERY different. You would have been better off purchasing a U.S. mainland LS430 without navigation to bring to Hawaii.

If you need navigation, my suggestion would be to truck down to your local Costco store and buy a sub-$200 portable GPS that has maps for Hawaii. Or just use a Smartphone navigation application; the recently deployed Google Maps 7 I have on my Samsung Android Galaxy phone is excellent although you had better have a high volume or unlimited data plan if you are going to use it much.

I see that you are asking the same question on multiple Lexus forums. Maybe others will have ideas you will like better.