'91 Ls400 Fuel Door Won't Open

ChicagoIrish

I just acquired my second LS400 (a '91). I had a '92 which just went to its demise with 307,000 miles.

Anyway, the (new) '91 has 127,000 miles and is in wonderful condition--except that the fuel door will suddenly not open. I pull on the switch under the dash, hear the sound, but the door doesn't open. The door appears to be mounted correctly; the gaps around all four sides appear to be roughly uniform. I had the same problem on the '92 LS400, but if I pulled the switch multiple times in quick succession it would eventually open. That is not working on the '91.

Any suggestions? I'm not even sure who to go to to attempt to fix it - my mechanic? A body shop? A Lexus dealer?

Help, and thanks!

Hi,

If your '91 is similar to the '92 (and I am pretty sure it is!) there is a manual release in the trunk inside the First Aid box. This should look like a t-handle attached to a flexible cord. Find that and pull on it gently and your fuel door should pop open. This should resolve your immediate problem of getting fuel into the car.

I think the issue may be the electrical connection the solenoid at the fuel door itself. You may need to check the circuitry to see whether that is the problem. On my '92 the same issue was due to the lid being slightly misaligned - gently putting pressure against the lid before activating the switch inside the car, would work for me; this probably would be alleviated by some lithium grease, I think, but have not really bothered to fix it.

hope this helps

Hope this helps

I would say if that did not release it, it is not the mechanical part of the latch that is at fault. Must be something bent or misaligned etc., on the inside of the door or the door itself that has it "jammed" shut.

Have you tried GENTLY prying it open at the same time someone is pulling on the emergency release?

Also found this:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/37394-fuel-door-wont-open/

I just acquired my second LS400 (a '91). I had a '92 which just went to its demise with 307,000 miles.

Anyway, the (new) '91 has 127,000 miles and is in wonderful condition--except that the fuel door will suddenly not open. I pull on the switch under the dash, hear the sound, but the door doesn't open. The door appears to be mounted correctly; the gaps around all four sides appear to be roughly uniform. I had the same problem on the '92 LS400, but if I pulled the switch multiple times in quick succession it would eventually open. That is not working on the '91.

Any suggestions? I'm not even sure who to go to to attempt to fix it - my mechanic? A body shop? A Lexus dealer?

Help, and thanks!

This just happened to me...

I was able to open it by pulling the release metioned behinf the First Aid Kit...but pull it back and don't let go. Then use your other hand to pull the gas door open manually (or use your key or something softer to flip the door open.)

BUT...before doing this, be aware that a spring and a small piece of broken plastic will fall on to the ground.

Recover them. The spring is a v shapped item. The broken piece of plastic is what held it in place and allowed the spring to 'pop' the door open when you pull either release.

I am planning on figuring out a way to remount that spring on the inside of the door. Perhaps I will drill a hole in it and the inside of the door and use some small fastner.

(Bottom line...when you pull and HOLD the emergency fuel door release that is behind the First Aid Kit it is free to open...you just to put something in around the edge to flip it open (there will be no resistance...as long as you keep holding that release - it keeps the 'pin' pulled back, freeing the door.)

Let me know if that does it. (And if you have any ideas for remounting or replacing that spring.)