Which Coilover Is Best?

13-954

looking to buy some coilovers since my mechanic told me that for him to install 4 OEM shocks and labor would be about $1,000.

I know someone who is selling JIC SF1 coilovers for like $800 used. I heard that JIC is a *BLEEP*ty coilover brand because they break or are noisy. Is this true? Would it be better to get TEIN HA's new for $1,100? Is there someone who can help me with my dilemma?

Also would these rims fit the car with the right offset?

Fronts: 19x8 w/+45 offset

Rears: 19x9 w/+45 offset.

Any response would be of help. thanks.

NOOBIE

:rolleyes:

I have a 92 SC 400 and am looking to buy some coilovers since my mechanic told me that for him to install 4 OEM shocks and labor would be about $1,000.

I know someone who is selling JIC SF1 coilovers for like $800 used. I heard that JIC is a *BLEEP*ty coilover brand because they break or are noisy. Is this true? Would it be better to get TEIN HA's new for $1,100? Is there someone who can help me with my dilemma?

Also would these rims fit the car with the right offset?

Fronts: 19x8 w/+45 offset

Rears: 19x9 w/+45 offset.

Any response would be of help. thanks.

NOOBIE

:rolleyes:

I've seen the Zeal Coilovers and they are nice. They ride well too. The JICs, I heard they ride rough and the quality of the welds looked so so, plus the spring is painted purple, ughh. Tein, ehhhh. The good thing about Zeals and JIC is that you can lower the car via a lower shaft while retaining spring tension. So a separate piece on the bottom of the shock is lowered or raised. You can have your car slammed, but still are able to have a comfy ride. The Tein, the ones I've seen, you can only lower it by adjusting the springs. So the lower the car, the harsher the ride. The only downside to the Zeals is that they are pricey, BUT I heard they also revalve it for free. I think. Pretty good incentive though. You can checkout the site. Endlessusa.com. I thought about getting the B6 or S6, but no moolah.

I hope that helps.

for $150 they weren't true coilovers they were a sleeve.

Teins actually are much more harshriding than jic and have more returns or problems as i have only seen one set of blown shocks from jic but it was on a track car. Teins i have seen a few more than that returned.

jic ride much smoother and more like a lexus(JIC) rather than a honda(tein)

The reason why Teins are so popular is because they've had more advertising and marketing support than JICs or Zeals. I spoke to a guy in the San Francisco area that distributes JIC, a customer had a problem, the welds came apart and JIC wouldn't replace it, they said it was due to aggresive driving. Come on.

They are now distributing Zeals, which are in my opinion are much better that Teins or JIC.

Rides much better that both. Just my opinion.

if you just need shocks then just go and get some tokico blues for like $220. if the only thing bad is the shocks and your concerned about money, then just replace the shocks. if youre wanting to lower the car, throw on some eibachs with the tokicos. id only get teins if i were autocrossing.

the welds came apart and JIC wouldn't replace it, they said it was due to aggresive driving. Come on.

Have you looked closely at a set of jic suspension first hand?

it would take a hell of alot to break there welds as they are done perfectly compared to other companies.

JIC are made for agressive driving but too much of anything will break something.

Unless you are the person with the suspension third hand information is always hear say.

They are now distributing Zeals, which are in my opinion are much better that Teins or JIC.

Rides much better that both. Just my opinion.

How good are they?

13-954:

Do me a favour; delete the post that doesn't need to be there. It's distracting

Everyone else:

Okay, what Coilovers would you guys recommend. If you guys have track-tested the products that would be the best solution. This thread is interesting, and I'm going to Pinn it here.

So far I've come across:

Teins RA Dampers

Teins HA

JICs FLTA2

B&G Adjustable

Cusco Zero 2

A'Pexi World Sport Damper

Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC Type II

Zeal Suspension B6

Also, correct me if some of them don't apply for our SCs

I know your guys are thinking coil over. Recently, I have swung the way of air ride. I'm very impressed by air ride technologies and I'm considering contacting them to develope a set-up or adapt and existing technoligy for my SC. I just need to get some money together.

AJ: I'm sure you've already come across this place but I though I'd link it anyways:

http://www.kiyoshis.com/performance/suspen...ver/index.shtml

The stuff is called Canover and I've been told it's a good quality setup.

I was on the phone with one of the guys over there and he said I'd be looking at $4000 installed.

That's with 2 compressors, 4-way switching(if I remember correctly)

A guy named Din from CL runs this setup.

Yea I know. Very familiar with that set-up. Way overpriced and not good for the application I want to use it in. Air ride technologies actually produces air shocks that are used in IDRC and JGTC applications. I just got their catalogue yesterday and I'm very impressed. They are fairly priced and feature components that are not overweight and featuring multiple tanks and what not. What I'm getting at is a sensor controller auto level 3 position system running off one compressor and minimal tank just to do the job of holding my car firm on the track and twisties and giving me the ability to ride low and raise up for when I get my trailer and clear my driveway. I'm not talking about front/back/side/side "act a fool" kind of thing.

I don't like canover. They are good for show. I'm thinking more than show. ART is much more competitively priced anyways and very well regarded in the scene.

JGTC uses air ride? wow now im intrested :lol: hey AJ when you get those shock made give me a hollar i may be interested since i really cant go any lower than stock because of my stupid stupid steep driveway(but nice curvy mountain roads on the way) and a ride height adjustable car would be great.

I have not decided exactly wich system I want yet. I need to contact their tech support and go from there. Right now, I need to raise money to repaint my car. Don't ask. As soon as that is done, I will be on the horn to Air Ride. I will let you guys know what I find out and decide. I am looking at the Shockwave system.