Bridgestone Potenza Re92 Sidewall Tire Blowout On A Near New Tire. Lex

Hi I was wondering if you could give me
some advice. My mom has a 2011 Lexus IS250 that she bought brand new and has only
put 8k miles on it. She was on the freeway and the tire blew out, the
sidewall looks like it just disintegrated. The tires look nearly new and this
is very concerning. I'm concerned about her driving on these tires because of
safety issues. Do I have any recourse asking the dealership for 4 different
tires as I don't have much confidence in these tires.

Hi Craig.

Your mother is lucky she didn't have something worse come from the blowout. The freeway speeds could have easily made her lose control.

Your recourse is two fold. First, the tires are covered by the manufacturer under what they call road hazard coverage. This protects you from things such as this, but pro rated for tread wear since purchase.

Your second recourse is the IS250 bumper to bumper warranty. The dealer should replace the tire with a new one. However, in my experiance, no dealer is going to replace all four of you tires unless the manufacturer will cover the cost.

Paul

Hi Craig.

Your mother is lucky she didn't have something worse come from the blowout. The freeway speeds could have easily made her lose control.

Your recourse is two fold. First, the tires are covered by the manufacturer under what they call road hazard coverage. This protects you from things such as this, but pro rated for tread wear since purchase.

Your second recourse is the IS250 bumper to bumper warranty. The dealer should replace the tire with a new one. However, in my experiance, no dealer is going to replace all four of you tires unless the manufacturer will cover the cost.

Paul

I didn't think tires were covered under the B-to-B warranty? Tires on a new car don't come with road hazard warranties. It might be that the tires were defective, and Bridgestone could replace them.

WOW! She is very lucky that she got the car stopped with no other damage. That says a lot for our cars, and your mom's driving skills.

I would go to the dealership first, then the manufacturer of the tire. We had a similar situation on a Cutlass we bought once. (That tells you how long ago it was :-) ). I raised sand and raised sand. They finally replaced the one tire at a pro-rated amount.