Convential Oil Recommendations?

blake918

Can anyone recommend a good conventional(non synthetic oil) to me? I have a phobia about the synthetic oil leaking especially on an extremely high mileage car like mine; then, I just read a post about someone switched to syn, and he car started leaking. While it might not be the syn. oil's fault, I don't want to take any chances whatsoever! So, are any of these conventional oils better than any others??

thanks

:cheers:

Yes, I like Pennzoil first and then Valvoline for normal non-synthetic oil. For high-performance non-synthetic oil, I hear CAM2 is good. But in general I would recommend Mobil-1 synthetic, although a lot of people are talking about AMSOIL (see comparison at link below - take note that it is an AMSOIL Website!).

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/amsoil_vs_mobil1.htm

I did search and everything is on synthetic oil(mainly mobile1 vs. amsoil) and "should I switch to synthetic?"...not the info I need! My car has 225k, and I don't want to take any chances at all with a possible oil leak!

Jim-you like Pennzoil and Valvoline? Thanks for the suggestion!

Blake,

I always used Pennzoil in my hondas, acuras with good results. 5-30 is the correct weight.

See if your Local Toyota Shop uses their brand (like Monarch) and what weight (since you live in subtropical :lol: )!

My local Toyota Shop uses Castrol (I use full synthetic in the Sequoia), and local Lexus dealer uses Quaker State.

I would keep using the dino oil also :rolleyes:

Monarch, you consistently recommend the local Toyota oil because you've had such good success with it??....(400,000 miles on one of your vehicles :D )

I too use Mobil 1 synthetic. However, a lot of the oil companies have been promoting a new conventional oil for "higher milage", I know that Valvoline has one & I think Castrol & Quaker State have their own on the market, maybe Mobil does too? :unsure: They are suppose to "condition" gaskets, seals & the like. As a suggestion, go to some of the Motor oil companies websites & check them out to see what you think.

I'm not trying to 'dis anyone in this thread, but in my opinion Castrol and Quaker State are very poor oils - I've done some real world tests on four non-synthetic oils (Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, and Quaker State) and theses 2 oils performed the worst - Pennzoil came in first and Valvoline in second.

The reason the dealers use them (Castrol and Quaker State) is because the mark-up is better on them, not because they're better oils. How much difference would this make if you don't drive hard and change your oil every 3k miles? Who really knows, I think all that we do know is that if your not concerned about the high mileage issue (as blake is), then your best bet is a major brand synthetic oil and a good oil filter - I like Fram.

I'm not trying to 'dis anyone in this thread, but in my opinion Castrol and Quaker State are very poor oils - I've done some real world tests on four non-synthetic oils (Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, and Quaker State) and theses 2 oils performed the worst - Pennzoil came in first and Valvoline in second.

The reason the dealerss use them (Castrol and Quaker State) is because the mark-up is better on them, not because they're better oils. How much difference would this make if you don't drive hard and change your oil every 3k miles? Who really knows, I think all that we do know is that if your not concerned about the high mileage issue (as blake is), then your best bet is a major brand synthetic oil and a good oil filter - I like Fram.

Oh I agree completely........about the oil :D

I was actually referencing how Toyota and Lexus DO NOT EVEN USE a Toyota Brand motor oil <_<

All these brands seem VERY REGIONAL to me B)

I use Amsoil Syn but would consider Mobil One Syn once I finish the Case I've got!'

Blake,

I have used synthetic oil in a number of high milage vehicles and it has never caused a leak. My Caprice has 186,000 miles on it and I use Mobil 1. I think the myth about synthetic oil causing leaks is just that... a myth.

There is an excellent report on oil posted in one of the forum heading. It is long, but very informative. Read this and then report back. From the report, it determined that the best synthetic is Amsoil. If they sold it in stores, I'd probably use it, but Mobil 1 is a very close second. Convential oils are so far down that I no longer consider them a viable option unless you have some old oil burning ,meatwagon.

Denny

I use mobil one in a LS400 with over 100,000 miles and have no leaks. I also use mobil one in my SC400. Castrol didn't do that well in my old BMW (worn rocker arms) so I now use Pennzoil with pure base when I go with a conventional oil. I believe that it may be more important to change your oil more frequently than what type of oil you use, as long as it meets the recommended specs.

Monarch, you consistently recommend the local Toyota oil because you've had such good success with it??....(400,000 miles on one of your vehicles

99LSGUY, Thousands of Toyota owenrs have gone over 500,000 miles on dino oils, like the following owner of an '87 Celica:

Subject: [Camry] Re: Question about longevity of 1991 Camrys

Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:14:38 -0000

Reply-To:Camry@yahoogroups.com

Toyotas are the most reliable cars on the road. We have a 87 celica

with close to 600,000 milies on it, 91 Previa with 270,000, 93 Camry

with 180,000 and a 89 Celica with 270,000 miles (totaled, but was in

fine running condition).

This is compared to the two Volkswagens that we had (91 Fox, 90

Golf)that never made it to 130,000 or the '99 Subaru that needed a new

transmission at 100,000. And dont get me started on the problems that

we have had on the American cars that weve owned.

After driving American, European and Japanese, it is clear that the

Japanese have the cars down to an art, especially Toyota.

Alex

I use the genuine Toyota dino oil because it's priced the same ($1.40 - $2.00 a quart) as other name brand dino oils at Walmart and is specially formulated for Toyota engines.

Lexus dealers, like Toyota dealers, are only interested in maximum possible

service dept profits (afterall they are run by Americans and "profits first" is the American

way of doing business) so they don't even use the Toyota motor oil

and some even scrimp by using Valvoline Maxlife transmission fluid instead of Toyota

Type T-IV.

blake, I have always used mobil 1, but understand you thoughts about leaks. Mobil also makes a non-synthetic oil that is highly rated. Just make sure whichever oil you choose is a "high mileage formula". The ingrediants will help rejuvenate the seals.

steviej

PS, you could try synthetic and if it starts to leak, switch back immediately. Only loss would be the oil removed.

I feel like a total a_s for this post because I didn't even refill the car with conventional oil(...a sudden change of heart I guess!) :blushing: !!! Stevie, I did what you said...on Saturday, I filled the LS up with Mobile 1 full synthetic and a Toyota filter(it was good to see the previous owner had a Mobile 1 filter on the car as I hear that they are pretty decent filters too!). The car has been under close surveilance, and no leaks in about 4 days, so I think all will be well!

Thanks for all of the help :D ! At least we have some suggestions for those not wanting to use synthetics(for whatever reason!)!!! :whistles:

Where can we get Toyota engineer suggested oil ? can we get in local toyota delaerships or auto shops ?

At any toyota dealership for about $1.50 - $2.00 a quart. All Toyota and Lexus cars come from the factory with genuine Toyota motor oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid and antifreeze. So owners who wish to maintain their cars with these same high quality, factory original fluids and lubes will have to buy them at Toyota dealerships (or pay a higer price if they order them from a Lexus dealership)

Note that relatively few Toyota and Lexus dealers or independent Toyota specialty repair shops are willing to use the genuine Toyota factory original lubes and fluids in the cars that come into their dealerships for servicing. That's because they can get better prices on bulk quantities of other brands. And because they know how easy it is to tell Mrs. Jones: "Toyota does not make lubes and fluids and their brand is merely a rebottled and relabeled and overpriced version of the same lubes and fluids we use."

So ironically, auto repair shops and even Lexus dealers may end up degrading a Lexus's ultimate

reliability and durability by installing aftermarket lubes and fluids. Here's a specific example: some dealers substitute Valvoline Maxlife transmission fluid in place of Toyota Type T-IV fluid even though they know Toyota has not tested and approved the Valvoline Maxlife. And some dealers install aftermarket antifreezes instead of Toyota's unique red or pink antifreeze.

blake, as a suggestion, read the pinned thread in this forum called "everything you wanted to know about motor oil" That might shed some light on the conventional oil vs. synthetic oil issues. B)