Your Mpg Penalty

pj8708

We've all read and heard about either the loss or benefts of driving in certain ways that will either save you money on gasoline or diminish the purpose of government mandated polution and gas consumption engineering.

In this months Consumer Reports, the magazine's staff choose three diffrent cars, and drove each car on three trips of 200 miles at a constant speed of 55, 65, and 75 mph. At the end of the trips, there was a loss in total fuel consumption of 1 1/2 to 2 gallons.

Read the full article to learn about the the substanial amount of time lost traveling at 55 versus 75. The carbon foot print placed into the atmosphere, and the surprising mpg loss using things like bike racks on top of your car, and government mpg mandates for the future.

Personaly, a gallon or two lost or gained is not enough to make me change my driving. But, knowing we have a very limited supply of fosill fuels available, the amount of co2' released into the atmospher, ( the only one we've got), from extracing and refining the gas, along with the public subsidies given to the oil companies, does give me reason to drive diffrently.

Thats my 2 cents. Whats yours?

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2013/07/the-penalty-for-speeding-a-loss-in-fuel-economy.html

Paul

I saw this article and thought it was very interesting.

In the same print edition, they showed the effects of a roof mounted bike rack with a wind deflector and two bikes on fuel economy. This setup reduced the mpg's of the car by 35%.

I saw this article and thought it was very interesting.

In the same print edition, they showed the effects of a roof mounted bike rack with a wind deflector and two bikes on fuel economy. This setup reduced the mpg's of the car by 35%.

That result really surprised me. You would expect that kind of dramatic drop in mpg if you were pulling a camper or boat, but bikes are so light you would never suspect a drop of 35%.

Sometimes I will see a car with the little black air dam loose and flapping the breeze and I think...really?!?! don't you know or care what that is doing to your mpg? People!

I must say that I pretty much keep my foot in it and I keep my tranny shift on power. I like the jerky feeling it gives me and the way it holds the gear longer. I know it probably cost me a little fuel in the long run, but I bought a sports car to have a fun car to drive. I get 24 mpg and it is mostly city stop and go driving. I think that is fine. I use the 89 octane fuel. It says to use 91, but around here we have 89 and 93. I figure that 89 can't be any worse than 93 can be better. Car runs fine on it.

Interesting and mostly expected. For me I will continue to select reasonable efficient vehicles and drive in the 70-80 mph on open freeways when safe to do so.

The 1.6L and 2.0L Ecoboost Ford engines had especially mediocre fuel economy at speed given the sleek sedan configuration.