Timing Belt Change

LEXIE

Comments would be appreciated re the following:

My '93 SC400 is 11 yrs old. It is garage kept, not driven harshly and only has

61k miles. Would it be safe to wait for the normal changeout milage of 90k??

In my opinion...yes. Only reason being is that this motor is NOT an interference type motor (the valves won't bend when the belt breaks), if it was I would highly recommend doing the belt, tensioner, and idler at the proper interval (90k) or slightly sooner under conditions like yours (11 yrs. old). It's not uncommon to get around 110k miles or slightly more out of these belts.

Some later motors ARE interference types - for peace of mind, I would confirm that yours is not the interference type.

Yep, like Jim said you can get atleast 110k out of the belt. The one in my '95 LS4 is at 115k; I'll probably change it this summer for piece of mind. Also, with that kind of mileage on the belt, I inspect the belt regularly just to make sure nothing is happening!

:cheers:

Not hard at all!!! Basically, all I did was remove the little cover that says "Four Cam 32 Valves." Then you can see the timing belt on one of the tensioners. I got a little mirror that has a little pole on it-kinda like the dentists one! With a flash light I just took a look at the belt and saw no cracks or dry rot and good grooves left on the belt. None of the bearings in there are squealing because the car runs silently, so I'm going to wait until it really needs it ;) ! Let me know if you need further clarification.

:cheers:

blake---thx for the info. Sounds pretty simple and I will probably

check mine out for "peace of mind". BTW, I had a squealing problem

which was due to the external serpentine drive belt. I could make it

stop for short periods of time by using a steel brush to clean out

the pulley grooves but eventually I changed the belt out even tho

it didnt look worn and the noise stopped and the car now runs smooth

as a baby's a**.