Changing The Alternator On 2007 Rx350

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I know that this thread is 2+ years old but I am stuck. Thanks for the useful info! I have gotten to the alternator and remove the bolts, could not get the tensioner to move even a tiny little amount. I pushed the alternator forward a little bit and now cannot get it out, it does not move even with a little bit of hammering :(

Please help. What do I do?

Are you saying that the tensioner is in the way of removing the alternator? Is it the tensioner pulley or the whole pulley and bracket? If it's the tensioner pulley, I think, but I'm not sure. that the pulley bolt is left-hand thread.

I don't know what's in the way, the alternator now feels cemented in. I guess the belt might be tight enough to keep the alternator in place.

Are you saying that the tensioner bolt needs to be removed by turning it clockwise?

Started turning it clockwise and it gave in very easily. I got the bolt off about 1/2 inch but the belt is still tight. Does the bolt have to be removed completely? Is there any info on how this tensioner works? Thanks a lot again!

You must remove the v-belt or you'll never get the alternator out. You need to tighten the tensioner bolt back up (counter-clockwise) and then pivot it enough to put a pin (5mm hex key or something similar) to hold it. Then remove the belt. The alternator should be able to be removed. Do yourself a favor and put a new v-belt on.

tensioner.pdf

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the factory service instructions on how to change this. I thought I'd mention my situation. I had battery light come on my 2007 RX350 with 130AMP alternator. Instrument cluster battery light would come on initially at low RPMs and then it stayed all the time.I thought it's alternator for sure. But before jumping the gun,  I had CAA guy look at the car battery's charging system and the battery and he said that both battery and the alternator tested OK. It ended up being the cables. They had so much corrosion! After cleaning the battery posts, cable clamps (with proper battery post cleaning brush) and the ends of the ground cable under the battery tray and the engine block, the cluster battery light would only stay on at low RPMs. I had to charge the battery and only after that step did the cluster battery light went away. Hope this helps some one. 

• 1 year later...

Is there a picture by picture instructions. For example, I am not sure how to follow steps 3-18..  Do we have to remove so many things to get to the alternator, and not just 3 bolts, pulley and belt? Is there a video link?