Lx470 And High Octane Gas

Mojo

The owners manual says to run 91 octane, has anyone here ever ran 87 octane?

I can't see why it would need 91, it doesn't have high compression, its only a 240hp

engine. I don't get it, anyone know?

thanks

High octane gas prevents pinging -- as well as a couple other things. It shouldn't be a huge deal if you run lower octane -- IF you don't get pinging.

Then again, it's easy for me to say that, since it's not my engine...

Personally, I'd do as the manual states.

I run 93 as recommended. Severe internal engine damage can occur running less than the recommended octane due to pre-ignition detonation.

You get better gas mileage (as well as performance) from higher octance gas which gives you almost the same cost per mile anyway, which is the real bottom line.

I find it hard to pay 20cents a gallon more, Its the same engine they put in every tundra, landcruiser, sequoia, ect. I dont think they all run 91. Its not a high performance engine, its only 240 hp.

Well Mojo,

Paying 20 cents more per gallon might become costly; but I agree with Jimbostar you get more MPG. If you want, you can fill it up (when the tank is just about to be empty) with high octane fuel and see if there is an increase in MPG. You have a very high end SUV, I have an 11 year old car and I still fill it up with high octane fuel; but then again it is your car, just my suggestion. But it won't hurt so much to just try it and see the results.