Power Outlet For Front Of Ls600Hl

Just getting around my CPO 2010 LS600hl and want to change out the storage compartment in the front dash with the cigarette light/ash tray arrangement. No not for smoking, but to have the power outlet for my phone.

The dealer wants, wait for this...$1,700!!! $1,400+ is for the replacement wood trim/door, since it is a different size going from one configuration to the other.

Sooo, does anyone know of an aftermarket kit that I can get to install a power outlet in the compartment?

thanks,

hank

• 2 weeks later...

Uhmmm. My 2011 has a power outlet in the center console and the outlet in the ash tray. Do you use a different power outlet or am I misinterpreting something?

Thanks for your response. The cars come with either an outlet and ash tray or a storage compartment. Mine has the latter and I want to convert it to the outlet version.

Now I have to plug my phone to the rear seat outlet and stretch the cord to the front.

It sure looks like it. The dealer said that I also needed the wood trim since the two styles are different sizes, but it looks the same to me.

Thank you very much! I'll buy it and see.

Cheers!

Hank

• 3 months later...

xhybrdx

I did order it, but it wasn't the right part, it was only the insert to replace the ashtray that slides out.

any other ideas? in the meantime, I'm plugging it into the rear outlet and dragging the power cord to the front seat, not very elegant for a LS600...

thanks to all,

hank

Preferences

• 2 weeks later...

How about a trade. I'm looking for one of these...

Front Cubby

I have the one that has the lighter and would like the additional space instead.

I have a 2012 LS 460L with the walnut interior. Here is a picture of what I currently have.

LS AshTray

Also note, I have already installed the "no smoking" version as you described above.

jeff

• 1 month later...

xhybrdx

I did order it, but it wasn't the right part, it was only the insert to replace the ashtray that slides out.

any other ideas? in the meantime, I'm plugging it into the rear outlet and dragging the power cord to the front seat, not very elegant for a LS600...

thanks to all,

hank

Preferences

I could have responded early but I don't usually follow the LS600 forum. I've had quite a bit of experience with powering fixed and portable cell phones in cars including Toyota and Lexus.

An inexpensive and easy solution for charging a portable cell phone without using a cigarette lighter adapter is to tap into your car's accessory circuit either at the underdash fuse box or underneath your center console.

When I did it on my 2000 LS400, I bought a $5 cigarette lighter extension code from Target, chopped off it's male cigarrette lighter plug (ouch!) and attached the extension cord's hot and ground wires to the accessorry circuit wires under the center console. I then plugged a USB cigarette lighter adapter (again about $5) into the extension cord's female lighter socket and then plugged a USB-to-microUSB cord (I think I paid $3 each for each of the many I have) into the USB cigarette lighter adapter. A nice aspect of these little USB cigarette lighter adapters is that they can be had with two USB ports providing power to two devices.

In my LS400, I routed the microUSB end of the USB-to-microUSB cord to the charging cradle I have mounted on a Kuda leather phone console attached to the center console. I have no dangling wires and my phone (Samsung GS3 in my case) starts charging when I insert it into its charging cradle. My Samsung brand charging cradle is specifically for my Samsungphone. I do not have to plug a power cord into my phone. The extension cord I mentioned and most of the USB-to-microUSB cord are hidden inside the center console.

If you want an "elegant" solution, look at the leather phone consoles for the LS600 on www.kudausa.com . I see that the ones for the LS600 come in a number of colors. The one I have in my LS400 is a nearly perfect match to the upholstery. You would still need a phone holder or charging cradle to attach to the leather console. What's available depends on your what phone(s) you use. Charging cradles designed specifically for a phone model are the best IMO.

Or, you could simply route the micro-USB cord, iPhone cord, etc. to wherever you want to lay your phone, e.g. to the center console container. Everything you need to do it would cost maybe $15 and an hour of time.

Or if you want to go "whole-hog", obtain a cell phone "convenience kit" from a Lexus dealer in the UK or Europe - they have them specifically designed for the LS460/600. The convenience kit installs in the center console container, uses interchangable cell phone cradle inserts and includes an external antenna connection. The interchangable inserts are available only for popular cell phones.

If you want more information about any above, respond to this post or send an PM to me. I could provide photos and some useful links if I was home.

Thanks Jeff,

sounds like we could make a deal. I would like to trade if our wood matches.

hank

Well as it turns out, you can move the wooden cover from the one to the other. The "tray" is attached with four screws so you can keep yours or use mine. I already picked up one like yours. shoot me a message at jgbackes at earthlink.net and we'll work something out.

jeff