After Deal Flush Transmission Problems

tonykriegmaui

I am sorry if this has been dealt with in the forum before. I am a new member. We have bought our 1999 RX300 with 26,000 miles on it and now has 92,000. We have dealt with the same dealer for the past 30,000 miles or so. Anyway, the 90,000 mile service suggests a timing belt change and an "complete engine service" which includes a transmission flush. So since we want to keep the care for another 2-5 year or so I agreed to the complete engine service instead of the routine oil change etc.

We got a call the next day and the dealer said the there are now warning lights about the transmission after the flush probably caused by "plates shedding dirty material". Shouldn't the dealer have warned us about the possiblity of a problem caused by an engine flush. The transmission was working fine before we took it in.

Any recourse thoughts etc would be appreciated. Should we look for a rebuilt trans?

I am sorry if this has been dealt with in the forum before. I am a new member. We have bought our 1999 RX300 with 26,000 miles on it and now has 92,000. We have dealt with the same dealer for the past 30,000 miles or so. Anyway, the 90,000 mile service suggests a timing belt change and an "complete engine service" which includes a transmission flush. So since we want to keep the care for another 2-5 year or so I agreed to the complete engine service instead of the routine oil change etc.

We got a call the next day and the dealer said the there are now warning lights about the transmission after the flush probably caused by "plates shedding dirty material". Shouldn't the dealer have warned us about the possiblity of a problem caused by an engine flush. The transmission was working fine before we took it in.

Any recourse thoughts etc would be appreciated. Should we look for a rebuilt trans?

This has been a notorious issue on both Lexus sites I visit. The consensus of the majority of the members is to NEVER do a flush, but do a simple drain and refill.

If this had happened to me, I would hold the dealer culpable and expect a financial partnership in the repair/replacement of my transaxle.

if you have been getting it serviced there, you have good standing to get a financial co pay on the repair. Sorry, yes we on both sites do not recommend a flush because of this issue.

I have had an Avalon flushed twice and the RX flushed once - zero problems, and I would recommend it, if the tranny oil is red and doesnt' smell burnt. I'm wondering if the flush problems in some cases are caused by errors by the operator of the flush machine.

Tom