Is It Possible To Upgrade

adey

I am a newbie and just acquired a sweet 2003 GX 470 with NAV, DVD and ML. I am hugely disappointed that it has no input for ipod or MP3 so I have a few questions

Is it possible to include an external input source. There seems to be no clarity about 2003 with nav option in all threads i have read

Is it possible to upgrade the firmware for the screen so it is more modern or change it out completely so i can solve all the problems with a screen with USB, bluetooth and ipod inputs

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi dcfish...thanks for responding. I have seen your threads and responses all over the forum and they have been very helpful. I have contacted Vaistech and received recommendation. I have been offered SL3i or MML. Neither is a bluetooth solution.

Secondly, none of this solve my other problem of improving the look and feel of the screen. Is it possible to swap out the HU (i hope this is correct) for an after market option or for newer models of GX with better look?

While I love Vaistech and their products, you really should contact them by phone to see if they may have developed something that may answer your questions. Otherwise you may be stuck going to some sort of an aftermarket stereo/sound system shop and having them assist you in finding some sort of a solution. Be sure to bring a bucket of money!

How much are you willing to pay to update a 10 year old vehicle? A simple aux-in would allow you to have virtually all the functionality of the latest Toyota Entune and Lexus Enform systems as long as you are willing to control the apps from your phone's screen.

I've noticed that VAIS has been focusing their efforts on newer vehicles with the latest nav systems. I would not expect them to go back and develop anything for older Lexus vehicles.

If you have to have A2DP Bluetooth streaming, you could add a simple aftermarket Bluetooth receiver to an aux-in from VAIS, iSimple, etc. - maybe use a splitter so you can have both a plug-in and a wireless connection. I thought about doing that but I don't mind plugging the aux-in into my phone since I usually get my phone out of my pocket to charge it while I am driving.

I'm not very impressed with controlling applications through a nav screen. I get a lot more apps and features from apps when I control them directly from my phone through an aux-in or Bluetooth in our new Toyota than through Entune on its nav screen. Phone technology is way, way ahead of in-dash nav technology.

Thanks for all the postings. I think I am leaning in the direction of 1990LS400 as it appears there is nott a lot I can do with the 2003 with nav (from my research on forums). Any recommendation on auxillary input options or is there a diy available as I am quite comfortable doing electronic/electrical upgrades.

• Like 1

There is the Parrot Mki9200 or something like that, that can integrate Bluetooth and also has an aux cord and iphone cord too. So not only can you do Bluetooth calls but you can stream music thru Bluetooth also.

Denslexus,

from my reseach, it appears that the Parrot mki2000 is suited to GX 470 without Navigation. Do you know if anyone with navigation has installed it?

Denslexus,

from my reseach, it appears that the Parrot mki2000 is suited to GX 470 without Navigation. Do you know if anyone with navigation has installed it?

According to the following webpage, "Adapter QCJBL-2" is supposed to work on "all incl Mark Levinson": http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/find.php

I have no idea if that is accurate. I had planned to install a Parrot Mki9100 in my 2000 LS400 but decided on a different solution due to the amount of hardwiring that would have been involved due to no adapter harness being available. The Mki9100 has a smaller non-color display.

I suspect aftermarket kits like the Parrot are going to be fading away as more vehicle comes with all this technology standard. Bluetooth technology and aux-in/USB ports are becoming standard on very inexpensive cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Hi everyone. my research finally took me to a product from a company called Yatour.

http://www.yatourcarkits.com/older-lexus-usb-sd-aux-mp3-interface-adapter-yatour-p-153.html

They have several options: Usb, SD & Aux input or ipod input. You can also combine bluetooth with any options. Price is very reasonable so i am very excited about this. However, to keep both the adapter and CD changer, i need to know how if it the CD changer that is directly connected to the head unit radio (CD changer port) or the nav system as i have not opened up mine before. I will appreciate any pointer on this.

• 4 weeks later...

Final Update on this topic.

I installed the Yatour adapter with Aux and ipod inputs. i also combined bluetooth with the adapter and it works like a charm. anyone considering an adapter should look at this. The entire set up cost about $120 and the installation was free....did it myself.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

• 2 years later...

Hey Adey, I'm about to pick up an 03 gx with nav and was trying to find the adapter you picked up. The link and website seems to be not available anymore but I found the yatour products on amazon. Was wondering if your adapter looked anything like this one...

YATOUR Car Digital Music Changer USB SD MP3 12pin for TOYOTA and LEXUS series https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007V9W8H6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4oKyxb6AMSREP

The table lists the 03 gx but it doesn't specify nav so I wanted to double check. I tried a tape adapter first and it sounded awful so I'm hoping there is still an alternative to get my phone hooked up! Thanks for anyone that has a more recent way for fixing this...

• 3 years later...