Lx 570 Wood Trim Replaced 4 Times!

clozzzer

I purchased my lx in 2011 new. Since then the dealership has had to replaced the wood trim 4 separate times. The drivers door is the easiest to spot, right around the seat memory buttons. The dealership has now refused to replace the panels any more. The say that it is not a known problem, and it has to do with something i am doing. I asked them what I am doing, and they said "we don't know, just something causing the wood trim to separate. Lol. Crazy!!!

Please look at your memory seat controls and let me know if it appears to be separating. You will notice a wavy appearance and a sharp edge above the memory buttons.

Other panels that separated; above glove box, passenger door, and around ash tray.

Please me know.

Also, in the pictures I have attached, this happening again in less than 40 days. This is the beginning stages.

Here is the pic.

Hey Steve. Welcome to the LOC.

Your pics didn't download so try again would you.

Your's is a strange sounding problem. Personnaly, I've never heard of the wood trim delaminating as you desribe and in just certain places again and again.

I think you have two issues. One is the issues of what is the physical reason why this happens. A tech problem. The other, and more important, is what is Lexus going to do to fix it. This is the part that needs solving first.

Has the dealership's Service manager contacted Lexus tech support? Have you called or e-mailed Lexus customer service and laid out your problem and it's timeline tor them? Have you talked to or has the dealerships general manager been involved? There are several routes availabe to you to apply pressure for a final resolution to this fiasco.

The strangest part of you experiance with this dealer is their replacing the trim four times and then deciding to stop without any reolution. What I mean is 1. They replace the trim the first time. 2. It goes bad, so they decide to replace it again. 3. That goes bad. Now here is the place that one would think the dealer would say, hold on. We have a bigger problem than we thought. They get Lexus involved. They dance naked around a campfire while chanting under a full moon. They do anything to find an answer. But no. They put on yet another trim kit without knowing anymore than before. When it craps out they just tell the customer that since we, the dealer, don't know how to fix it, will blame you and see you on your way.

Send the pics and hopefully somebody will have seen this before.

Paul

Here is a pic of it starting to peel again. You can see the delamination in the picture as the shadow. We never clean the inside of our car except when it is serviced by Lexus, they do. Last time in for the 4tg replacement, they provided me with a sun shade and instructed me to use it.

The service manager was involved, and had me deal with a corporate Lexus parts guy who is now refusing to replace future panels.

I may be forced to sue Lexus over this. Sad deal

post-149420-0-17944400-1370894125_thumb.

Here is a pic of it starting to peel again. You can see the delamination in the picture as the shadow. We never clean the inside of our car except when it is serviced by Lexus, they do. Last time in for the 4tg replacement, they provided me with a sun shade and instructed me to use it.

The service manager was involved, and had me deal with a corporate Lexus parts guy who is now refusing to replace future panels.

I wanted to check in with you Steve to see if anything new has happened. I'm with David in that I can't think of any reason this problem should be happening. In my opinion, and this is only MY opinion, Lexus has a legal responsibility under the terms of the warranty, to tell you specifecly what is the cause of the problem and specifly what you are doing that would put the fault on you. If they can't do this they are refusing to back the warranty by not resolving a known defect.

Just recently, we had a warranty problem with our new town home. After several attempts to get the builder to fix a problem under warranty, we sent by Certified Mail, reciept required, to the head of the warranty dept, the Director of Sales, and the President and CEO. In the letter, we laid out the problem and history and closed with a stern notice that if these things were not resolved, further action would be taken.

This worked right away. A letter from an attorney to the dealer and to Lexus might at least get their attention. Or, a letter from you to the dealer owner and Lexus corp could help.

Sorry I can't do more.

Paul

It is nearly a lamination of a very thin piece of wood. It is not solid wood. It is a veneer.

Your pic doesn't show well. What is peeling? Is it the whole wood trim? If so that makes more sense.

What I meant it is real wood...laminate or not it isn't plastic that should be peeling off. I have had and have been in a number of these cars and I have never seen what you are describing.

If they have replaced your trim under warranty this many times there is obviously a problem. Is the whole backing coming up?

I wanted to check in with you Steve to see if anything new has happened. I'm with David in that I can't think of any reason this problem should be happening. In my opinion, and this is only MY opinion, Lexus has a legal responsibility under the terms of the warranty, to tell you specifecly what is the cause of the problem and specifly what you are doing that would put the fault on you. If they can't do this they are refusing to back the warranty by not resolving a known defect.

Just recently, we had a warranty problem with our new town home. After several attempts to get the builder to fix a problem under warranty, we sent by Certified Mail, reciept required, to the head of the warranty dept, the Director of Sales, and the President and CEO. In the letter, we laid out the problem and history and closed with a stern notice that if these things were not resolved, further action would be taken.

This worked right away. A letter from an attorney to the dealer and to Lexus might at least get their attention. Or, a letter from you to the dealer owner and Lexus corp could help.

Sorry I can't do more.

Paul

I apreciate your concern. I will attempt this method next.

It is nearly a lamination of a very thin piece of wood. It is not solid wood. It is a veneer.

Your pic doesn't show well. What is peeling? Is it the whole wood trim? If so that makes more sense.

What I meant it is real wood...laminate or not it isn't plastic that should be peeling off. I have had and have been in a number of these cars and I have never seen what you are describing.

If they have replaced your trim under warranty this many times there is obviously a problem. Is the whole backing coming up?

It is starting to peel on this door panel and the problem area is just above the memory button Area. In the photo it looks like a shadow.

Tomorrow I will make a video of it so that everyone can see it more clearly.

And also, it is the wood coming of the backing.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

this is very common problem of the wood peeling and very common in the middle east coz the of heat. every owner i know of lx 570 has this problem

want to get mine get replaced any idea how much they are and where i should get them from

• 1 year later...

reviving this old post...

new to the LX570, just purchased a 2010 with 111k miles.  A couple of weeks into the vehicle, I too am noticing that the wood trim piece around the seat memory buttons is peeling off right near the button.  I live in WA, but the vehicle spent all of its life in Southern CA.  So maybe heat has something to do with this.

Anyone else seeing this problem on older 570's?  

Anyone have an idea about a fix?

Cost to replace?

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

My 2013 LX570 trim started bulging at the seat adjustment buttons also, I pushed on it and it cracked. Lexus said they don't sell the trim piece alone would have to buy the entire door panel $800, so looked for another way out. I bought some sticky black matting at the Hobby Shop and cut to fit, I know it isn't perfect but now I'm not bothered by it and I still have $799 dollars in my pocket 🙂

Trim1.jpg

Trim2.jpg