Low End Torque

what is a good way to get some low end torque, besides mufflers, etc.? i'm not sure about the sc300, but with the sc400's, they seem to lack low end torque. i find myself playing a -catch up- race instead of first to take the lead.

1. Displacement

2. Forced Induction

Personally, I think the 400 has lots of low end torque, but lacks in the upper end. This is odd, considering that the engine makes peak torque at 4400 RPM. One issue with the 400, is the tall auto gearing that is spaced too wide for optimum acceleration. A shorter diff ratio would help the seat of the pants feel at the expense of freeway mileage, though.

Supercharging should add some, but a turbo won't add low end torque. You could always bump the compresion ratio, get domed pistons, a thinner head gasket (If available). Comp Ratio is where the torque is at.

You have to make the most out of what you have unless you want to spend a fortune re-architecturing the engine and the gear. Best bet is use the power-braking launch with TRAC turned off. This method gives me a wheel spinning launch combined with throaty exhaust can be intimidating. SC400 is not really a fast car to begin with, and it was intended as a touring coupe not a sports car. I bet if you remove all the padding, passenger seats, unused accessories, I bet we can recover 100+lbs that may be good for .1 second in 0-60. Low in torque is must noticeable on SC400 than SC300 but once again the 0-60 rating back in ’96 was only 1 second different which SC400 w/260hp was high 6’s. You may be sensing the slight pause when the accelerator is pressed from standing start in SC400.

The only other option is to change the Torque Converter to a Stall Converter. This will let the rpm's come up before it engages. It will launch much harder.

:cheers:

I agree. Look into a higher stall TC. It will not give you more torque, per se, but it will allow for better launches. Look here for some info:

http://www.converter.com/faqs.htm

i definitely have plans for the torque converter, i just need to save some of my student money up first.

upping the compression ratio sounds nice OKSC3, but can you be more specific? if you're talking about advance sparks, then i'd have to retune the ecu. i'd rather deter from messing with the ecu for now until i have more adequate knowledge of them.

Upping the compresion ratio can be done in alot of ways. If you want to stay NA I would deff look into getting some higher compression pistons, but that would probably be a custom job, and thus expensive. Supercharging is really good for low end torque, when you go FI you are pretty much just adding compression, both with turbo's and superchargers. But the problem is that with a turbo is that it dosen't add much below 3000rpm. You could probably run rods that were a tiny bit longer, it just all depends. I am not familiar with the backing on these cars as I am new to this platform, but with it having the same characteristics as the Supra you might be lucky and find someone who does offer higher compression parts. But most people try to lower it to run more boost. I would rather run 6psi of boost on a 10:1 ratio than run 10psi of boost on a 9:1 ratio. And I will beat him off the line, if not all the way through. There is big formulations that will show the effects of boost on higher compression and on lower compression, but a good place to get an idea is look at all the honda's. A honda running a 8:1 lowered compression ratio may make 325whp, but its is probably only making 175ft/lbs of torque, where as the same engine running a 10:1 will make less horsepower, say around 230whp, but it will also probably run around 235ft/lbs of torque. (Just general ideas) But along with running high compression with FI comes the risk of blowing gaskets, warping or cracking cylinder walls (Don't think that would be much a problem on our cars) breaking rods ect. Its all about running within your limits. If the limits on the stock 2jz with stock internals is 600whp don't shoot for 700whp, shoot for 550whp and have a car that is reliable, safe, properly tuned, and a monster.

Sorry kind of got off track there! lol