Choosing New Tires For The Hs

benfb

I was looking around for a topic on choosing replacement tires for the OEM tires on my 2010 HS 250h. Maybe I'm just blind but I don't see much discussion. What tires have people tried? For me, I would prefer tires that provide good roll (better mileage) more than traction.

• Like 1

I don't think you can beat the surveys at http://www.tirerack.com They often cover millions of miles for a tire model - more objective and statistically reliable than individual opinions on car forums.

I do my research on the Tire Rack website and then buy our tires at Costco during their regular Michelin/Bridgestone promotions - just avoid the organic berries and don't make any sudden moves if your last name is Scott.

I don't think you can beat the surveys at http://www.tirerack.com They often cover millions of miles for a tire model - more objective and statistically reliable than individual opinions on car forums.

I do my research on the Tire Rack website and then buy our tires at Costco during their regular Michelin/Bridgestone promotions - just avoid the organic berries and don't make any sudden moves if your last name is Scott.

I've been looking at their web site but the list of possibilities is endless. Also, I really want a good rolling tire to maximize mileage and I can't figure out how to identify those tires.

After reviewing tirerack.com and various other sites, I have this list of candidate tires so far:

Michelin Primacy MXM4
Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position
Michelin also has a promising tire in the Pilot Sport A/S 3, but it's apparently not available until July.

Any suggestions or reviews?

I don't think you can go wrong with the tire that seems to be the most popular in the Lexus LS400/LS430 and the number 2 rated tire of its type on the Tire Rack website: Michelin Primacy MXV4. I see this tire only in the size for the 17" standard HS250h wheels. There is also a low rolling resistance Michelin Energy MXV4 but notice that it has pretty low ratings in the survey.

If you have the optional 18" wheels, then maybe the #4 rated tire in its category: Primacy MXM4 .... I wonder it comes in an H-rating (130 mph) instead of a V-rating (149 mph).

I would stay away from tires labeled "Sport" or "Extreme". The Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires probably have a short life if they are anything like the Potenza RE750 Pole Position tires I had on my LS - lasted only 20,000 miles but were the best handling tires (not the smoothest ride though) I have used in my 310,000+ miles of driving Lexus LS cars. My LS is currently on Primacy MXV4 (H-rating) and we bought a set for the Camry we passed to a nephew. Will likely buy Michelin Primacy's of some model when the 215/50-17 tires on our 2012 Prius v wagon "age out" in about six years when the Prius will probably be at something like 30,000 miles - wife doesn't drive much so tires are not close to being worn out the time they get replaced due to age.

I don't think you can go wrong with the tire that seems to be the most popular in the Lexus LS400/LS430 and the number 2 rated tire of its type on the Tire Rack website: Michelin Primacy MXV4. I see this tire only in the size for the 17" standard HS250h wheels. There is also a low rolling resistance Michelin Energy MXV4 but notice that it has pretty low ratings in the survey.

If you have the optional 18" wheels, then maybe the #4 rated tire in its category: Primacy MXM4 .... I wonder it comes in an H-rating (130 mph) instead of a V-rating (149 mph).

I would stay away from tires labeled "Sport" or "Extreme". The Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires probably have a short life if they are anything like the Potenza RE750 Pole Position tires I had on my LS - lasted only 20,000 miles but were the best handling tires (not the smoothest ride though) I have used in my 310,000+ miles of driving Lexus LS cars. My LS is currently on Primacy MXV4 (H-rating) and we bought a set for the Camry we passed to a nephew. Will likely buy Michelin Primacy's of some model when the 215/50-17 tires on our 2012 Prius v wagon "age out" in about six years when the Prius will probably be at something like 30,000 miles - wife doesn't drive much so tires are not close to being worn out the time they get replaced due to age.

First, I want to thank you for keeping up with me on this thread, since I can't seem to get any other responses.

I have a Premium package on my HS with every option they offered (I drove a loaner HS the other day during an oil change that was a base model -- I'm glad I spent the extra cash on my car; I would gladly take this over even an LS), so I've got the 18" wheels. That knocks out the Michelin MXV4 but the Primacy MXM4 tires seem like a good choice.

I agree that I don't know sport or extreme tires. I never push my car; I enjoy tweaking my mileage rather than pretending I'm a race driver. In spite of the word "sport" in the name, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is supposed to be one of their green tires with better mileage. From the Michelin web site, the A/S 3 looks really promising but I don't think I can wait until July; my current tires are on their last legs.

Curiously, if you go to the Michelin web site and ask for recommended tires, they only list their sport tires. Seems they consider the HS a sports luxury car. I do get a lot of compliments on its looks, but it doesn't have the zip needed to be a true sports sedan.

The OEM tires were Toyos and they did OK, but they didn't last long and they're over-priced for what you get. I found some positive online remarks for General G-MAX AS-03 tires and for Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season tires, but I don't know enough about those brands to really judge them.

• 6 months later...

Hi, this is for others who are looking for tires too.I have a 2010 HS250h. I got the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires and are very happy with the tire. The car rides a little quieter, my mileage went up a little, and I think they raised the car about an 1 inch higher, which helps keep the car above some of those high parking blocks. I've put about 5k miles on them and I'm expecting the life of the tires to easily be over 40k based on the wear so far. I highly recommend this tire.

• 4 years later...

I don't know if there is anyone left in the world driving an HS but me, but I still love my car and I'm about to replace the tires again.  Per the thread above, I replaced my OEM tires in June 2013 with Michelin Primacy MXM4.  Those came with a six year 55,000 mile warranty.  It's been five years and a few months, and almost exactly 50,000 miles, and the tires are pretty much at their end.  If it were summer, I'd wait another few months but with winter starting up, I want good traction for the rain and light snow.

From Tirerack.com, the MXM4 don't really get that good of a rating any more.  Instead, I'm looking at either the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or the Premier A/S.  Anyone have experience with either of these?  The Pilot Sport doesn't list a rating for driving in snow, so I'm assuming that they're a summer-only tire?  In that case, I guess I'll be getting the Premier.  I'm in Oregon and our winters are a lot of rain and a little snow.

Any thoughts?

• 3 years later...