Gs300 And Gs450H Towing Question

Hi guys.

I used to have a GS300 in Australia when I worked for Lexus and am now looking to get another one since I now live in the US. I have a little race car that I tow which weighs 3500lbs including the trailer. The GS300 is rated at 4000lbs and I have towed similar weight cars with my old one with no issues but cannot find a tow hitch here rated to 4000lbs. Any ideas? Also did the GS450h in America get any towing capacity?

Thanks guys

I assume you noticed the "B.S." warnings in your owners manual against towing a trailer or even installing a trailer hitch to carry a bicycle which I think is in all owners manuals for Lexus passenger cars sold in the U.S.

I am surprised that you found a class II (3,500 lbs.) hitch for your 06 GS - the only ones I can find for an 06 GS are class I (2,000 lbs.). The next class up from class II is class III (6,000 pounds) and there is no way you are going to find one of those for a GS.

I'm all for towing trailers with passenger cars (I have a class I hitch on my 2000 LS400) but 3.500 lbs. seems a bit much for a GS unless you also have something similar to the "Towing capacity upgrade kit needed for 2000 kg towing capacity" sold by Lexus dealers for the GS in other countries.

If I remember correctly, Australia is one of relatively few countries that use U.S. type trailer hitches. Maybe you can get a higher capacity hitch for your GS from there? I searched a few Australian tow bar seller websites and did not find any for the GS of the high capacity you are looking for. (FYI, the IS and GS use the same trailer hitch/tow bar.)

Wow I only just read the warning about towing. I used to tow with company GS300's so never cared about them but if it's my own car I'm concerned. Any ideas why they advise against towing yet rate it at 2000kg? I don't want to kill a transmission!

Wow I only just read the warning about towing. I used to tow with company GS300's so never cared about them but if it's my own car I'm concerned. Any ideas why they advise against towing yet rate it at 2000kg? I don't want to kill a transmission!

I don't know why Toyota sanctions towing in the U.S. for it's Toyota/Lexus passenger cars when Toyota/Lexus dealers in many other countries sell hitches, towing kits and towing accessories for the same vehicles. Maybe it's because people in the U.S. tend to have more vehicles per household than in other countries. It's not just Toyota. I was about to buy a BMW 5-series back in the 90's until I found that towing voided the drive train warranty even though the same car in Europe was rated to tow a trailer heavier than mine.

I'd want a 2-inch receiver hitch to haul 3,500 pounds - don't know if you can find one for a GS.

We have a company in Aus called Hayman Reese who do a 2inch kit. When I worked for the factory they were under the impression Americans use pick up trucks to tow with but Australian culture was a sedan doing all of the duties (6cyl Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore) hence both of them have 2000kg tow rating. We had issues when the Hybrid Camry launched with no tow rating and it stopped a lot of consumers buying it. Australia ended up given the new generation Camry 500kg where as far as I know no-where else in the world had any rating.

• 2 months later...