Used Ls400

gthmcty1

I am thinking about going to look at this Lexus but I wanted to get the LOC thoughts as far as mileage and price was concerned any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have attached the link to the vehicle, thanks.

1-owner, maintenance records, and relatively low miles on a Southern California car are certainly very good signs. My next door neighbor and I both sold our 1-owner, very clean, always garaged 90 LS's recently. I sold mine (about 183K miles) for $4,500 in Nov. and he sold his (about 150K miles) for $6,000 last summer. You might check to see if the A/C has been converted to R134a and if the compressor has been replaced. Was the timing belt and water pump changed at 90K? Is the maintenance up to date? And check for issues: failing speedo needle, odometer noise, climate control display darkening, steering rack and pump leakage, brake disk thickness, audio system function. It was fun when I did a Mapquest on the zip code and saw that it is close to where my aunt lived for 50 years on Baseline Road - a long way from Kansas.

Looks like a very good deal. I paid $4000 for my 1990 LS, with 224K (at the time) in November of 2003. At times, I think I may have paid too much, but it was a 1-owner car, in excellent conditions, aside from a broken A/C evaporator, as well as a few scratches and small dings- so I may have got a fair deal. According to KBB - the private party value on my 90 LS with 225K was showing $4200, so the value on the 91 with 133K that you are considering should be at least $5000.

I agree with what 90LS said. Just check those items mentioned, because I have heard these are common problems several times.

My only problem has been the A/C not working.

Good luck!

thank you very much for your feedback I have been drooling over these cars for quite some time and going from my 82 caprice classic to one of these will be a god send (not to mention that I am very handy when it comes to DIY work on the cars) I have an appointment setup to go look at the car this Friday keep the fingers and the toes crossed! I will look out for the mentioned items in the previous post!

It looks to me like the suspension has been modified or something...rides very high; although could just be the pic <_<

Aftermarket wheels for sure...

If serviced @ Lexus, the Vin # should have a long list. A detailed one owner will have the original sticker in the glovebox.

I agree that it appears the suspension has been modified. Can't really judge the condition based on the pic. If it were me, I would be more interested in newer and definitely GEN II. These are great cars, so check the maintenance items already mentioned and go with your gut! GOOD LUCK!

Hey, Lexena brings up a great point about the A/C. I have a 94 LS400, and I remember that was the year most cars started to use the R134A coolant. But not all. So the question is-what coolant do I have? How do I check? Living in Las Vegas, this could be a life or death question.....

Yeah, when I went back at looked at the picture, it did seem to sit very high. Mine doesn't have air suspension and sits several inches lower. It's kind of hard to tell from the picture but it looks okay. At this milage there are a few things (but very expensive things) that need attention. It seems this milage is common for first owners to dump their LS and buy something newer rather than put "a lot of money into an old car". Just carefully check the things 1990 LS400 mentioned and you look to have a pretty good deal.

good luck