Buying Sc400

49er

I'm considering buying a black on black 1995 SC400 auto 100 000 miles with good Mich tires.

The problems are:

1. The windscreen moulding toward the roof is touched up badly covering rust, someone fixed it pretty bad on both sides.

2. Drivers door opens akwardly moulding on top of roof line is torn some paint chips.

3. Front hood gap between the fender is larger then right side of hood, seems like there was a minor accident on left fender which makes sense of why drivers door is wonky and hood gap is large.

4. Paint chips and scuffs on overall body needs to be painted.

Price on this car is $8100 as is or highest offer can't take it for test drive (rules).

Is the expense of repairs and paint make sense of buying this car will it last for a number of years.

49er, This SC400 sounds like it has 2 many problems and would be expensive to fix properly. The price also seems somewhat high, with all the questions surrounding the car.

since you can’t test drive the car, do you have a VIN number to find out about its history?

I would look for another SC 300 or 400...just my opinion

your descriptions are indications there were major repair done poorly. chipping paints and rust around the windshield is a sign of major body repair done long time ago. i don't know of any Lexus that had rust problem and especially around the windshield is unusual. chipping paint is an indication the paint was sprayed on with poor prepped work. Check VIN which is helpful but don't rely on it. Mileage is almost accurate since it pulls from the state gov't record but body repair is not. walk away and don't look back.

I have the V.I.N but all opinions I read online is (NO) not to buy it. But its a repo car or liquidation so the rules of highest bid gets the car 'As Is'. I guess even at a low price I may bid it sounds like its not worth the effort in getting the Used Vechicle History Package.

But they do have to disclose at the depo it's branding as NONE not repaired or Salvaged this car comes out clean.

I guess this was my chance to own a real car not some toy like a front wheel drive car that most people drive or the four cylinder egg beater engine I drive that gives me ulsers. :angry:

Good Evening,

For $8100 you can buy any of several SC400s in good to excellent condition from eBay, dealers, or individuals.

The cars are generally the same from 92-96 and 97-2000.

We bought ours needing some paint, seat leather, and new bushings. A 92 with 143K, for $4000. Not wrecked, never smoked, just neglected a bit. The main reasons we went ahead: We got to drive it first, and the indigo/spruce color combo seems rare from what we've seen.

After getting normal maintenance caught up, bushings installed, and estimates for paint, seats, needles, and climate control display, we're still under $8100. It'll be set to go anywhere we want.

I'd strongly recommend shopping elsewhere. :D

49er, you can get a very good condition SC400 for the price this guy is asking. I know about the rules w/ auctions, you can't test drive the car sometimes. Go find a private seller who was the original owner (or second owner) and had the dealer service it with all the records and take it for a test drive and to a mechanic - you can buy a car like this for about the same money.

The cost of repiars will kill you if you don't do the work yourself - don't take a chance from the auction. Think of it this way, for the few dollars you might save at the auction as compared to buying from a private seller, you'll probalby spend for repiars on a car that you have little idea about it's condition. If the car was a really good car, it probalby wouldn't be at an auction!

HELL NO!! NO TEST DRIVE, NO DEAL!!!

Hes ripping you dude, who knows why he doesnt want u to test drive...

I bought a 95 sc with 75K for 9,000

You need to shop arround, that car is in pieces for that price....

Offer people the money, whatever it is that youre willing to payfor it. Even if the seller is 3k above your max offer.....dont be afraid to offer, you never know who needs the money!

Offer away.....when they ask for 10,000 offer 7,000 who cares, the worst they can tell you is no....give them your number and tell them to call u back if they change their mind....thats how I got my sc!!

good luck!!

Thanks Guys with the advice. Models of this car are very rare here. Lexus dealers here want $14 000 for the one I described. Private buys in town? Most people who bought one or leased it gave it back to the dealer a long time ago.

Hopefully I will pass on the repo and look at another one 1996 Lexus auto ES300 with 150 000 miles price hopefully I will get more details soon $6000 I'm guessing?

There are many good to excellent condition Sc400 models on sale on Ebay and autotrader.com etc. Never buy one unless you can bring it to a Lexus dealer for an inspection ($100) where they check it over and get the service history. Also get the carfax report and test drive it. You should expect to change the fluids etc. unless it was recently serviced. You should be able to get a 1992-95 model with less than 80,000mi for $8,500-$10,000. Very low mile cars will go for up to $15,000+. If over 75,000mi see if the timing belt etc. was changed as this is an expensive service.

same here, don't believe in buying cars from Ebay. You can easily buy a lemon, and each state's lemon laws are different.

Here's a thought. Find a car you're interested in. Post something in our general discussion forum, and ask one of us to check it out for you.