Brake Problem Out Of The Blue

acf

I moved my car into the driveway this morning and when applying the brakes to stop, it made a horrendous rubbing/vibrating sound. My first thought was that the pads have completely worn to the censor but usually that happens gradually as you drive as the pads wear, no? That's the first strange thing, the second is I came back out 30 minutes later and there is no more sign of the problem. It did rain here last night. Any ideas?

I had the same thing with my '94. The first time I stopped after I had washed it I got a sound like metal on metal from the brakes. The pads were never an issue because they never got below 20%. This first stop would dry them out and the sound disappeared. I think the rain maybe the key!

Thanks for the replies. I also think somehow the rain might be a clue. And as much as I hate to say it, there is a wee chance that I had the e-brake on. :rolleyes: But I didn't notice any drag when driving and I'm pretty anal about turning it off but who knows. :cheers:

sk's got it. Surface oxidation, happens to most unfinished metal surfaces when moisture is in the air. The noise is simply the brake pads removing the surface "rust". Go by car dealerships and look are cars that haven't moved in a while. The rotors will actually look bright red/rust colored.

no worries.

steviej