Changing Stock Door Woofers

I'm thinking of just changing the door speakers in my 93 es 300 with some after market ones. I've heard mixed reports on if the amp can handle after market speakers. I was thinking along some alpine 2-ways. I'm pretty sure the stock woofers are 6.5 in. and because they are meant primarily for bass, 3-way is not needed. Anyone have any experiences just replacing the door woofers or have an idea on if this would be successful?

I tried this once after blowing one stock speaker. I tried Pioneer 2-way 180watt 6.5" speakers and it sounded terrible; nowhere near as much bass as stock, and as you said, no need for 2 or 3-ways b/c those speakers ONLY get bass. Now I guess that if I'd spent a lil more and got, oh say Polk Audio or maybe Rockford Fosgates or something like that, maybe even Infiniti Kappas, it woulda sounded good, but not neccesarily any better. My suggestion-go with all stock speakers in front, some decent 6x9's in back and an amp and subs in the trunk with input from the stock amp and head unit, like I did B) Sounds really really good and still has that neat stock appearance.

Alright easy answer first; yes the ohms matched. I bought 220watt Pioneer 3-ways and they went in perfectly. Now for the more complicated answer...I actually messed up my stock amplifier a while back b/c of a stupid mistake-it no longer gives output to the rear speakers...SO what I did was spliced the output for the front woofers from the stock amplifier and send it also to the rear speakers through the stock speaker wires, and also hooked this same input up to the high input jack on my amplifier. Now although this is straight-forward "jerry-rigging", it actually works quite well b/c all that the amplifier is hooked up to is subwoofers in the trunk, and seeing how the input it's recieving is supposed to go to the front woofers (only bass), it sounds nice. My only complaint (which I aim to fix by finding another stock amplifier) is that the nice 3 way 6x9's are only producing bass b/c that's all the input they're getting from the stock amplifier. Before, they sounded awesome-definitely a huge improvement in sound range from the stock 2 ways. Someday I'll get another amp, but until then, I'm just tryin to make due with what I have! B) But it thumps for sure-I hardly ever turn the bass past halfway unless I'm tryin to show off, and the front speaker setup provides enough treble and mid to balance it all out, so all things considered (mostly stock with a blown amplifier) it sounds pretty darned good.

It's not neccesarily a question of "can the amp handle the speakers" but rather, will the sound quality be any better, in which case they may be nominally better in sound quality, but more than likely not enough to warrant the cost of replacing them with high end speakers. Now the rear speakers are a different story b/c they actually do recieve more than just bass input, so a good 3-way speaker will actually improve the sound quality, whereas most speakers you could put in the front will sound no better than stock. Also, the stock amp almost certainly isn't capable of making the most of the speakers' potential b/c the speakers that you'll buy more than likely will be an improvement upon the stock units. I'd once again suggest either replacing everything altogether, or replacing with OE speakers and getting your bass from somewhere else-a set of subs in the trunk. Just my 2c though B)