2jz-gte In A Sc300

Hi everyone,

Im very new to this forum, and recently I had my eye on a sc300 (but it has to be manual for the swap). I know theyre very hard to find and I would settle for practically any year and color, any milage. I want to swap it immediatly and can you guys tell whats the best way to do it, go with the VVT-I head or just a straight up twin turbo 2jz-gte monster? Are there many complications with the swap besides the tranny (like the normal car function;heated seats, no cruise control).

There are a lot of options can you do. Swap in the GTE, it's a direct swap. Or go NA-T with a thicker metal gasket and you will be fine. Transmission, a 6 speed will fit in there but you have to get the a custom drive shaft. Expect to spend from $10k-15. Supraforums.com offer more tech support.

JPI

Too true, not like taking your engine out of your honda for an si engine. When going from a NA to a FI setup no matter how easy the engine fits you have to upgrade ALOT of support components to get it to work correctly. I say the cheapest that a swap could run would be around $7k to $8k. Doing a turbo setup on the stock engine would be cheaper if you took your time. I took six months (waiting for the best values I could find) getting all the parts needed to turbo my Impreza and ended up doing it for around $3k or less.

But as JP said you can easily get in over your head doing a swap, its not just an engine out, engine in and your done.

Kyle

Warning: You need to do alot more research for a reality check. A partial list that you have not even considered: ecu, radiator, fuel pump, MAF and Pipes, Ignitor and resistor, IC, D/p, midpipe & exhaust. Things you are lilely to upgrade or add: FMIC, BCC, EBC, Guages, better brakes, bigger wheels/tires to stay on road. I am at about $5k plus another $2000 for the optional stuff, all used and bought via forums and ebay at drastically lower prices than most have paid. Plus installation puts this approaching $9k. If you get this done for much under $7k you have done well. All of this without the 6-speed, that's another $4k easy. Many will say my numbers are low.

Switching to a late 90s US GTE would be the best option. Swtiching to a JDM GTE will be very complicated, and if you live in an emissions state, you'll have to swap the ECU everytime.

JPI is correct, expect to pay near $10k for the swap, since you'll have to get the custom drive shaft.

I think you should check out the FAQ and Performance Parts Thread pinned in this Forum. You can also talk to our Resident Turbo Experts, Lex Luthor and AWJ.

Let me throw a few things your way...

- Not gonna be cheap, budget properly or all you'll get is hair loss.

- Feasible to do the swap in your garage if you have the proper tools, knowledge, and patience, but with the gte you'll have to do the entire harness and all the peripherals (all factory Lexus equipment will still function if done properly), you may want to consider going NA-T, which will retain your oe NA head and harness. This decision depends on your power goals.

- There is no JDM 5speed GTE, they all have the Getrag or the A341E, so if it must be stick you can get a 5spd SC3 and use that trans with the GTE (same as the Supra NA 5spd), that box is good to around 400+ rwhp depending on how you drive it, at 450 you'll have an issue. You can also get a 5spd or auto SC3 and swap in a GTE with Getrag, but you'll not only need a custom driveshaft, you'll need the 6spd differential and left axle...otherwise first gear will be annoyingly short.

- I see you mentioned VVT-i. To be honest with you, it does greatly complicate things, in my case it forced me to use an engine mgt system which was supposed to be compatible and in the end was not, and blew two motors violently...one of them a brand new 2JZ-GTE from Toyota. The benefits are clear, especially on a turbo car, but if all you want is hp then it's probably not worth the trouble. If what you do want is monster torque and responsiveness, then vvt-i will deliver. The GS that SP just finished generated 600 rwtq with a little turbo, that's Viper/E55-crushing torque with super fast spool, but your only option with the variable valve timing is to go standalone, or play around with a Valcon controller.

Hope that gives you some clarity, good luck.