Gs350 Windshield Visibility Issue

Anyone having visibility issue looking out their windshield? At night it is extremely dangerous because head lights are duplicated. The lights are like a hologram image at the top of the car approaching you and as it gets close the lights walk down the car to eventually meet the actual head lights. Red/Green lights also do a similar blur affect.

Sorry for the delay -- new to the forum and emails were getting kicked out to my spam catcher!!!

I do not have a heads up display. The corporate office did say they this windshield has some kind of clear sound barrier and it may be the issue. They are going through the process of having the windshield replaced sometime in the next few weeks. I am going to have to try and clean the windshield first as you have suggested prior to letting them replace the windshield.

Prior to reading your responses I did suggest to the dealer ship to place my car in the garage at one end and mock up a table and set the new WS on the table at the approximate angle that the car WS sits in the car and go at the other end bring a car into the bay at the end and see if the same affect is on the new WS. That's what I would do if I was in charge but he said they don't do that kind of stuff.and that it is actually another 3rd party company that would replace the WS. I said, well, I think it would be good service if you took those steps prior to the 3rd party company doing something that may not fix it! I know that would not proof that it wouldn't do it in the car if it actually is an issue with internal ambience but it would clearly is a viable troubleshooting process in my opinion.

Its an acoustic windshield, but Lexus has been using acoustic windshields for years.

I've never heard of such an issue here or on other Lexus forums, I'm pretty confident if it is an issue with the glass, replacing it would solve it.

I doubt this is the problem because you would have thought of this already. A change in my eyeglass prescription late last year caused a halo effect when cars approached. I had an anti-glare application appliied and the improvement was substantial. Other things such as cataracts or retinal problems can cause a variety of issues. I only bring this up because if I understand you correctly, this problem was not there in the begining but came about quickly.

I noticed it the first w!eek that I bought it. I didn't notice it the first day because I think everything was so new! This is not an issue with my eyes because the issue is not occurring in other cars that I own--only my GS350. In addition, others have verified they see it as well! It is a windshield problem without a doubt! Thank you for the feedback though--I always believe it is good to look at all angles.

Hi Tom,

Just throwing things against the wall now....

I know your GS is a 2013. Did you buy it completly new; i.e. no miles or previous title/owner. Or. was it a Certified Pre-Owned GS,with only very low miles. The reason I ask is if it had been a slightly Pre-Owned car, it could be possible the windshield would have had to be replaced due to a crack or something else. The replacement glass used could have been a cheapo.

As I said, this comes from the far out back of my itty-bitty mind. Regardless of the cercumstances or cause, Lexus must replace the windshield at no charge. Period.

Please come back and let us know how things work out.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Anyone having visibility issue looking out their windshield? At night it is extremely dangerous because head lights are duplicated. The lights are like a hologram image at the top of the car approaching you and as it gets close the lights walk down the car to eventually meet the actual head lights. Red/Green lights also do a similar blur affect.

Hi,

I signed up with this forum (first time with ANY online forum) just to let you know that I am having the exact same problem with my 2013 Lexus ES 350. I am guessing this has something to do with the windshield being "acoustic". Please do share if you have managed a solution.

Hi,

I signed up with this forum (first time with ANY online forum) just to let you know that I am having the exact same problem with my 2013 Lexus ES 350. I am guessing this has something to do with the windshield being "acoustic". Please do share if you have managed a solution.

Hi,

I had to go through the Lexus customer service process and they finally replaced the windshield; however, it is pretty much the same. I would say that it seems slight less noticeable during a bright sunny day at time. However, at night the stretch of light is still there and many cases from over 300 ft~ away it looks like an extra set of small/tiny jeep/truck lights on top the hood at the top windshield area. The dealership contacted me and asked me if it was any better and I told them what I just posted and would have expected the Lexus customer service to contact me by now. I have to follow up with a call to them. The part that really blows my mind is it doesn't seem to be many people having this issue but I saw it in a brand new 2013, same as mine, and it had the same issue. What are the odds of this that it is in two cars that I personally know of and the windshield replacement has the same issue! If you bark loud enough they will replace the windshield and if you get that done I would love to hear your results. Thanks Tom.

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the update. I am exactly on the same page as you. Absolutely, how come not others are having this issue and that Lexus is so easily getting away with this safety hazard. You see car headlights are one thing but I face the same issue with traffic lights as well. If the red light is displayed, I see halos around it and another projection of sorts above it and below it.

Having said that I am not hopeful of a solutions as I feel it is a design flaw on account of the acoustic shielding. There is a film pasted or rather pressed between two sheets of glass to achieve this shielding. If you ask me that is the culprit. So perhaps the only solution could be to move to a non-acoustically shielded screen.

Does your Lexus have the Mark levinson sound system? As far as I know the acoustic shielding is a features there because of this sound system. Perhaps done in an effort to provide a quieter listening environment.

I guess Lexus meant good but perhaps over looked the issue you and I are having. Sadly the only 2 Lexus owners in the world with this concern. :)

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the update. I am exactly on the same page as you. Absolutely, how come not others are having this issue and that Lexus is so easily getting away with this safety hazard. You see car headlights are one thing but I face the same issue with traffic lights as well. If the red light is displayed, I see halos around it and another projection of sorts above it and below it.

Having said that I am not hopeful of a solutions as I feel it is a design flaw on account of the acoustic shielding. There is a film pasted or rather pressed between two sheets of glass to achieve this shielding. If you ask me that is the culprit. So perhaps the only solution could be to move to a non-acoustically shielded screen.

Does your Lexus have the Mark levinson sound system? As far as I know the acoustic shielding is a features there because of this sound system. Perhaps done in an effort to provide a quieter listening environment.

I guess Lexus meant good but perhaps over looked the issue you and I are having. Sadly the only 2 Lexus owners in the world with this concern. :)

You are welcome! Perhaps I failed to mention the details in my opening post but I too have the issues with street lights and even some car brake lights. For example, when I had the mechanic test drive the car and I was in the passenger seat we got behind a bus and it was not quite evening but the sun had gone down a bit. We were behind a school bus and I was like dude, "Do you see that brake lights how they are hazed like a double image around them about 2" around the actual light?", and he said, "yes, I can't believe this!"

To my knowledge based on what the Lexus customer service woman said, the GS350 comes with the acoustic windshield. Personally, I don't care about the why or the logistics so much as Lexus simply admitting the issue and providing a solution. If the solution is to provide a non-acoustic windshield then they should replace it and proved a $1000 of free service or something. I say a kickback because I paid for something that is not functional and that function was built into the actual cost and if I don't have that then money should bounce back to the consumer in some form.

I will keep everyone posted on what I hear when I contact Lexus.

Hi Tom,

Since our last contact here, I have taken this up with Lexus Canada. The very next day I was contacted by a manager in their customer care department. That would be just a few hours ago. They are requesting me to take my car into the dealership and have them verify the issue. They claim that this is the first time someone has reported this issue in Canada. I doubt it, if you ask me. Either way I have decided to go ahead with their procedure.

I will keep you posted on any development at my end. Please you do the same as well. I believe our interaction (exchange of notes) can be very beneficial for both.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Ahmed

Hi Tom,

My parents are having this problem with their 2009 Lexus. They thought it was their eyesight and we did not discover the problem until my sister drove their car!! Now our local Lexus dealership is balking at making correction, pointing to an expired warranty. I will pursue the issue. In the meantime, people need to file a complaint at www. NHTSA.gov and hope that an investigation will result in Lexus correcting this dangerous problem.

Hi Tom,

My parents are having this problem with their 2009 Lexus. They thought it was their eyesight and we did not discover the problem until my sister drove their car!! Now our local Lexus dealership is balking at making correction, pointing to an expired warranty. I will pursue the issue. In the meantime, people need to file a complaint at www. NHTSA.gov and hope that an investigation will result in Lexus correcting this dangerous problem.

Was the windshield problem reported during the lengthy warranty period?

I am having this issue looked into by the dealership. On instructions of Lexus Canada I have dropped off my 2013 Lexus ES350 at the dealership. They will have their technicians drive it at night (when the issue is at its peak).

Meanwhile I have been given another Base 2013 Lexus ES350 as a loaner (courtesy) vehicle. Lo and behold the exact problem is there with the loaner as well. The wind screen distorts bright light sources exactly the same way.

Will update when I hear back from the dealership. By the way I do not have high hopes of a solution as the problem seems to be widespread and I feel Lexus would keep denying it till they can. I already had one service rep at the dealership make faces and mumble how he had never heard a complaint like this in the 10 years he has worked for Lexus.

• Like 1

To LEX-SV,

Thank you for bringing up an important point! Most people are not aware of rules involving warranties - and the fact that their consumer rights extend beyond the warranty described in the booklet they are given when they purchased the car. Right now I am the only one in this conversation with a problem involving an older automobile, but I suspect the problem is widespread and other Lexus owners with older cars will come forward. If the dealership tries to hide behind an expired warranty, they (dealership) will most likely be out of luck. This is a defect with the automobile that was there when the car was purchased and if Lexus promised/certified that the windshield was good at the time of purchase that is likely covered by what is known as an "Express Warranty". Check with the Consumer Protection Act in your state. Please keep in mind the recent mandatory Jeep recall - they were required to recall automobiles manufactured as far back as 1993. Check online resources, including Consumer Reports for more information.

To AQKhan,

I really sympathize with your plight. I am hopeful that people will report the problem at www.NHTSA.gov and that Lexus will be required to fix this problem. I plan to go forward until Lexus replaces the dangerous defect and will keep you apprised of any developments that may help you as you pursue the issue in Canada.

To LEX-SV,

Thank you for bringing up an important point! Most people are not aware of rules involving warranties - and the fact that their consumer rights extend beyond the warranty described in the booklet they are given when they purchased the car. Right now I am the only one in this conversation with a problem involving an older automobile, but I suspect the problem is widespread and other Lexus owners with older cars will come forward. If the dealership tries to hide behind an expired warranty, they (dealership) will most likely be out of luck. This is a defect with the automobile that was there when the car was purchased and if Lexus promised/certified that the windshield was good at the time of purchase that is likely covered by what is known as an "Express Warranty". Check with the Consumer Protection Act in your state. Please keep in mind the recent mandatory Jeep recall - they were required to recall automobiles manufactured as far back as 1993. Check online resources, including Consumer Reports for more information.

Yes, but to improve the case for a warranty claim beyond the standard warranty period (not a safety-related recall), the problem should have been reported and recorded during the warranty period, even if the dealer claimed NPF. btw-A safety-related recall has nothing to do with factory warranty or the the period of time the warranty was effective.

So same question, was the windshield problem reported during the lengthy warranty period?

To LEX-SV,

Yes, but to improve the case for a warranty claim beyond the standard warranty period (not a safety-related recall), the problem should have been reported and recorded during the warranty period, even if the dealer claimed NPF.

So same question, was the windshield problem reported during the lengthy warranty period?

Agreed. It's important to have issues reported while the vehicle is still under warranty.

Hello LEX-SV,

My elderly parents purchased the car. Shortly after the purchase, my father stopped driving at night - citing halos that he thought were due to his own eyesight. So sad to say, my father passed away and it was only then that my sister drove the car and noticed the windshield problem. She and her husband took it immediately to the dealership and were told that the warranty expired the month before.

To answer your question: The problem was not discovered and reported during the warranty period. I am not sure what your point is. To extend the warranty beyond the standard period you need to report it within the period? I don't understand. I also do not understand what NPF stands for. Actually, you sound like the Bellevue dealership's representative. Rather than discussing here, please return my emails/phone calls so we can work towards resolution.

The primary concern of our family is that our mother is driving a car with a potentially dangerous defect. We had hoped that the dealership would have stepped forward immediately when they became aware of the problem.

To other posters: I apologize if this exchange with LEX-SV is, in fact, an exchange involving the dealership involved. That said, I hope it offers you a heads-up of what you might have to expect.

Hello LEX-SV,

My elderly parents purchased the car. Shortly after the purchase, my father stopped driving at night - citing halos that he thought were due to his own eyesight. So sad to say, my father passed away and it was only then that my sister drove the car and noticed the windshield problem. She and her husband took it immediately to the dealership and were told that the warranty expired the month before.

To answer your question: The problem was not discovered and reported during the warranty period. I am not sure what your point is. To extend the warranty beyond the standard period you need to report it within the period? I don't understand. I also do not understand what NPF stands for. Actually, you sound like the Bellevue dealership's representative. Rather than discussing here, please return my emails/phone calls so we can work towards resolution.

The primary concern of our family is that our mother is driving a car with a potentially dangerous defect. We had hoped that the dealership would have stepped forward immediately when they became aware of the problem.

To other posters: I apologize if this exchange with LEX-SV is, in fact, an exchange involving the dealership involved. That said, I hope it offers you a heads-up of what you might have to expect.

Schielle1 - I know you are trying to do the right thing in getting a safety issue resolved for your mother, being the primary driver. I agree that should be the primary concern.

NPF = No Problem Found, frequently this is the diagnosis by service departments when they cannot (or don't want to) reproduce the problem reported.

And to clarify the point (since you were wondering what my point was), ideally the problem should have been reported and recorded at least once during the warranty period, even if the the service department in question failed to acknowledge the defect. It would just give your post-warranty claim more weight (and documents the fact that a problem was observed by owner during the warranty period, and remains unresolved). Consider taking it to another Lexus dealership, especially since the warranty just recently expired. If the problem is obvious, they could very possibly acknowledge the problem and honor the warranty.

Of course, when I see comments like "Actually, you sound like Bellevue dealership's representative" I wonder if you have developed a somewhat sour relationship with that dealership service rep., so trying another might be considered.... I apologize for having to point this out....

Best of luck, many of us have had productive exchanges with Lexus dealership service departments.

LEX-SV is a longtime respected member of our community Schille1, he is not the representative you've been dealing with at the dealer. Lets not get paranoid.

I agree with the others that the issue should have been reported during the warranty period. Unfortunately since it was not, my guess is you are going to be out of luck now. This is obviously a pretty rare issue, I've had 5 Lexus vehicles and driven many more and have never experienced the issue you've mentioned...