Throttle Body Cleaning

1UZ-FE

i have a 94 LS with 159,000 miles on it. I am getting horrible gas milage and i dont currently have the $$ to do plugs ($10 a pop) and wires ($140). I am wondering if i clean out my throttle body (which i have that PP presentation to help me) will it really make that much of a difference?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Up to you--do it or don't ; I think it helps--so do the folks who do it after so many miles--- do you believe them???? Can you afford about $5.00 ??????????

whatever.........

Do you think it will hurt your performance?? If so, then DON'T do it.

I think it's a great idea. Nothing like working on your car to give you the appreciation of how great it is. Curt Oberg did the PPT on that. I haven't seen him on lately, but I have a copy on file. It's probably what you have.

As far as your plugs and wires go, I'd search around on the Internet, or make a new post asking where the best place to get them cheaper. Nobody like paying a lot of money for anything they can get cheaper.

Good luck with it.

Throttle obdy cleaner is amazing ,i do it at every oil chaneg and it has dramatic results in my wifes car more than mine since i don;t do hers as much and she gets lots of carbon from city stop and go 15 minute drives.

well worth $5

As far as your plugs and wires go, I'd search around on the Internet, or make a new post asking where the best place to get them cheaper.  Nobody like paying a lot of money for anything they can get cheaper.

Good luck with it.

Having been in the same boat(this boat's a '95LS though... :lol:) a couple weeks ago, I've already scoured the internet to find the cheapest possible price for the Nippon Denso irridum spark plugs. I found them at this store for $11.25 which is about as cheap as they are going to be-that translates into $94 for all 8 shipped. For the wires, I bought mine from newlexusparts.com for $98 which includes free shipping.

Since we're going to have the engine somewhat apart(putting in the plugs, wires, rotors, and caps) this weekend, I think it'd be good to clean that throttle body. I looked at the throttle body when we dried out the spark plugs, and it was black with carbon build up. So, can anyone email me that ppt presentation that has the details on how to properly clean the throttle body??

:cheers:

Thanks, VY guy. I did the throttle body cleaning today, and it was a piece of cake. My 94 LS400 wasn't too dirty, but at least it's one less thing to worry about. Plus I figured out that there actually was a reason for keeping old, flattened out tooth brushes.

BTW-The instructions for the parts removals are also good for accessing the spark plugs on the passenger side. I did it by guess recently, but it's pretty much the same procedure, except the air flow sensor doesn't have to be removed. Unless you want to make the work a little easier.

Thanks again.

I found them at this store for $11.25 which is about as cheap as they are going to be-that translates into $94 for all 8 shipped.

I work at the lexus dealer here in Raleigh (johnson lexus) and i get some sort of discount on parts and half off for labor. they told me that a set of plugs would run me about $80 ($10 a pop) and theres no shipping(duh). anyway, thanks for all your help guys. I'll probably clean mine tomorrow.

Thanks again