Compatible Phones For Email / Text Replys

I own a 2013 GS350 with Navigation. I have a blackberry and am able to receive email and text. I am not however able to use the 15 standard replys that the come with the vehicle. I have been told by the dealer that it has to do with my phone's compatibility with the car. I use AT&T as my service provider and plan to buy a different phone to take advantage of the "reply feature". Does anyone know what phones are 100% compatible so that I can make use of all the benefits of the emailing and texting features (replys)? I have been told that the iphone(s) are not capable of using the "reply" feature either. Thanks for the help.

Hi Jim and welcome to the LOC.

Your compatibility question is answered at www.lexus.com/mobilelink. This link list all the cell phones that are Bluethooth compatible with your 2013 Lexus. This web address is also in your owners manual in the phone chapter.

To my knowledge, the package that Lexus uses for these aplications is writtien to work best with the Iphone.

Come back and let us know how things go.

Paul

Lexus is usually pretty far behind in testing new phone models. I've read on ClubLexus that Android phones work especially well with the current Toyota/Lexus systems but I've never tried replying to a text on my wife's new Prius via my Android Samsung Galaxy S3. It is cool to have the text message read aloud and ask if I would like to reply.

You might try the new Samsung Galaxy S4 from AT&T. My understanding is that you can get phones from AT&T on a trial basis. I'm super satisficed with my Galaxy S3. It works far better than the Blackberry Bold my wife punted last year which was bad, bad, bad.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently bought a 2013 GS with nav. My Droid Bionic would not support the Enform apps such as Bing, Yelp, Pandora, etc. I purchased an Apple 5 from Verizon & it is very compatible with the system. If the screen size is large enough for you, this is probably the most reliable choice for compatibility based on my conversations with Lexus tech support & my local dealer's tech guy (who has been very helpful.)

Unfortunately, my Baby Boomer eyes could use a larger screen. I would like a Samsung Galaxy S4. I have checked the compatibility on Lexus' web site & although the S3 is very compatible, the S4 (which uses a newer Android OS version) has not been tested. Neither Samsung tech support nor the Verizon reps have been able to give me any definitive answers.

Unfortunately I can only try one other phone by trading in the Iphone 5, and I am then stuck with that model.

I have 7 days left on the return period. I was hoping someone has used a Galaxy S4 (preferably Verizon) with the large screen 2013 nav system & can give me pros or cons they have experienced with the Enform apps & phone use.

Help!

Thanks in advance, Steve

Android phones will support the message reply functions, the iPhone does not. The issue is not with the Toyota/Lexus system, its Apple not supporting the Bluetooth profile necessary for you to respond to texts via the car.

SW03ES and Apollo15- Thank you for the replys. Sounds like android is the way to go. One question I had was to clarify that when you say android will support message replys - are you referring to text messages, email messages or both? I noticed the lexus.com/mobilelink has conveniently stopped reporting on email messages and now only speaks to text message capabilities. Not sure why but it is a bit frustrating.

It would be great to hear from someone about the Galaxy S4. That sounds like it might handle everything I want to do - email and text sending and replys as well as Enform capabilities. Anyone have first had experience with this phone with AT&T as the service provider (or not)?

thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the Galaxy S4 and it worked fine for both sending and receiving text messages. It did not have any email capabilities. I am going to try the iphone 5 next. Can anyone tell me why Lexus' mobilelink site no longer references email capabilities?

Thanks and let me know if you have any phones that do it all - email and texts - receiving and sending.

• 5 weeks later...

My emails/texts (without reply) were able to be "read" in my 2013 450h system from my Verizon BB. I just got a Verizon IPhone 5 and while texts (without reply) are still able to be "read", the email functionality doesn't work. In fact, when the message button is pushed, it doesn't even have an email string function like it did with my bb. When does Lexus plan on obtaining maximum functionality and compatibility with the iPhone 5? Thank you.

My emails/texts (without reply) were able to be "read" in my 2013 450h system from my Verizon BB. I just got a Verizon IPhone 5 and while texts (without reply) are still able to be "read", the email functionality doesn't work. In fact, when the message button is pushed, it doesn't even have an email string function like it did with my bb. When does Lexus plan on obtaining maximum functionality and compatibility with the iPhone 5? Thank you.

A better question is when is Apple going to "get a clue" and start adhering to industry standards for these functions.

I had the same result with the iphone 5. I am sticking with my BB Torch for the moment. I can receive text messages and emails from all three of my email accounts at the same time. All are capable of being read to me. Unfortunately just can't reply to them. I am going to sit tight until Apple or Samsung get their act together and I can make full use of my 2013 GS capabilities. If anyone finds out any phone that does all of this, please post. Thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...

Lexus--iPhone Text Messages

I have been fighting this isue since the day I bought my car

with iPhone 4 I could receive text messages but NO Reply

NEW Bad News:

Just got new iPhone 5S

and it will NOT RECEIVE Messages

So a move backward. My Dealership manager says it 's Apple's fault not Lexus

The "proof" is that Galaxy S$ seems to work well

Does anyone know a contact inside Apple so we get a straight answer ?

All,

So I think I have finally gotten to the bottom of this issue. After trying the iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S4 and the Blackberry (Torch and Z10); the Blackberry Z10 does it all. I have all three of my email accounts (work, MSN and Yahoo) and text messaging connected. I use AT&T service. I can receive emails and text, have them read to me, and then respond to all of them making use of all the capabilities of my 2013 GS 350 technology capabilities. Awesome!

The best I could figure out is that Lexus utilizes QNX technology / application platform http://crackberry.com/press-release-qnx-announces-release-qnx-car-platform-20 to drive the car's technology (which utilizes bluetooth as the basis). QNX was purchased by Blackberry a few years ago and is dominant in the car technology market. Apple does not utilize this standard and limits bluetooth technology to music only and not email. Not sure about Samsung but I know it doesn't work.

The sad part is that Lexus has yet to write the Enform App for Blackberry and has limited the App to Apple and Andriod. Does this make any sense? The car's technology is 100% functional with BB but they write the Enform App for Apple and Android. Crazy!!

I hope this helps. Love my GS 350. I tend to leave work early for long rides to Hilton Head and staying connected with work via email with the ability to respond is super productive. The email responses (there are 15 of them) can be customized when the can is stationary so if you have a need for messages like "approved" or " call my celll at "XXX-XXX-XXXX" you can change some of the 15 to personalize.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Does anyone know a contact inside Apple so we get a straight answer ?

You would have as much success getting the information straight from Steve Jobs which I understand is pretty difficult to do these days.

Maybe a future update of iPhone iOS or Lexus Enform will resolve your problem.

I have to wonder about the future of Toyota Entune and Lexus Enform due to the gradual "tanking" of Blackberry - formerly know as Research in Motion and the parent of QNX Software which was/is Toyota's partner in developing Entune/Enform: http://www.qnx.com/news/pr_4459_1.html?lang=de

You might check on the availability of updates for your Enform. Toyota Entune is so new that our local dealer has no idea how it is updated - whether it will be over-the-air, via USB, etc.

Last month Toyota announced that Entune will no longer be a subscription service and will now be free. The annual fee for Lexus Enform was to be a lot higher than that for Entune so you might want to watch to see if Enform is also going to made subscription-free. Entune provides so little value in its current form that we were definitely going to drop it when our subscription was up.

Entune in 2014 Toyota brand vehicles will have Yelp and Facebook places like Lexus Enform currently does. I assume current owners of Toyota vehicles with Entune will get an update to add these new applications. A lot of Toyota owners including me will be perturbed if Toyota doesn't do this since Toyota made such a big deal in the Entune literature about how it was going to update Entune with additional apps in the future.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2015 es300h with a blackberry via verizon wireless and lovemd getting email and it reading it to me while I drove. Now I have a windows phone htc6995 lvw via verizon wireless and can only get text and no email. Isthere any hope with this htc phone?

Lexus rep offered no help. Said look it up online. Very unusual for this low level of service from lexus and they will needto change as cars change with more software and electronics

Any ideas besides getting another cell phone? I just signed a 2 year contract