Problem Replacing Lower Ball Joint.

lsrxlex

Hi all,

I broke one of the 2 bolts when trying to separate LH lower ball joint from steering knuckle .

What should I do now? Do I have to buy a used steering knuckle from junk yard?

It's a 1990 LS400 with 403k miles.

Please help. Thanks.

It would probably be the fastest and easiest way to get another hub but you could try drilling the remains of the bolt and using a stud extractor.

Also if you remove the hub a local engineering company may be able to help.

If this is your 1st lower BJ change at 403K thats amazing and I'm not surprised it snapped.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I'm trying to find the hub to replace (the fastest way like you suggested ) but I need some time off from work to go to some wreckers.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

You're going to be removing the knuckle in any event, so when you do take it to a good automotive machine shop. They'll get the snapped bolt out. They have means and skills not understood by most people. Don't waste time in a wrecking yard unless the machine shop fails.

And whatever you do don't attempt to remove the broken bolt yourself if you have no experience with that type of work. Easy-out brand removers are junk, penetrating oil is useless, drilling freehand destroys the adjacent material.

A pro will fix it easily and you'll get back on the road. Which is the goal of course.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a front left hub ($75) before your reply, sorry.

And during the Memorial holiday, I started to work on the problem. Luckily I found out that I didn't break any bolt head. I actually did crack the 4-inch2 extender of the ratchet thinking that's the bolt. Then I had to stop short because I needed the car for work the next day, with the plan for the wreckers trip later and buying replacement bolt too.

Now everything is OK. I will save the left hub for future ball bearing replacement if needed.

Thanks so much for your advice.