Crackling Noiise

rkr

I have a crackling noise in the car, can't tell if it's in the dashboard or under the dash, sounds electrical to me but have no problems with anything else. Any thoughts?

Does it happen only when the car is moving, especially over bumps? If so, it's probably the tweeters rattling. If it happens even when the car is stopped, it might be the servos for the climate control system.

I seem to hear it when I'm stopped.only. What are Tweeters and the climate control? I do not have the heat or ac on.

Tweeters are the high frequency stereo speakers mounted on top of the dash, left and right. You do not have to have the heat or AC on to have problems with those pesky servos. I rebuilt two of mine and that fixed the problem. It is a common problem in the early RX's...many folks think that it's the CD player trying to load a disc.

How did you rebuild the mini speakers?

Sorry if my post was confusing...I did not rebuild the speakers. I attempted to fix their rattling by wedging pieces of an old bike tube between the spaces of the cowl and the speaker housing. It has proved to be a temporary fix, necessitating repeating the fix every year or so. I wish I knew how to remove those speakers to more closely examine their attachment mechanism. They probably just pop out, but I don't want to take a chance of breaking them.

I did rebuild the AC servos...I believe I put a post on the site about that...there are others who have posted as well. I think I did that job in 2009.