2013 Es300H Mark Levinson Nav System

November 30 2012, I purchased a 2013 ES300h with Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound Audio System, 15-speaker 835-watt at less than 0.1% THD, 20-20,000 Hz . After 3 weeks of waiting for a new amplifier, it finally arrived. They installed the new amplifier and it blew. Has anyone had problems with the Mark Levinson Sound system? What is its performance range?

Thanks

Hi dasmint and welcome to the LOC. The ES300h is a great car and I really like the new looks of the 2013 edition.

Overall, the ML system has been a good package for Lexus, but in my opinion it has had consistent issues with amplifer failures. Based on the number of post members put up regarding your same problem, it dosen't appear to be getting better.

Obviously you have more than an amplifier problem. There must be something down the way that is shorting or messing with it's software. The biggest problem with the ML system is that it is totaly proprietary to Mark Levinson. The Lexus people are not trained to repair any part of the product and are limited to replace only. There are no repair manuals or parts or training. Mark Levinson simply license the system to Lexus.

Since your in warranty your protected from the approximate cost of $2300. for a new amp. But as I said, there must be an additional problem for a new amp to fail as soon as it's pluged in.

Even though ML does not put out technical information so it can be repaired, there is a company in Ney York state called United Radio. They specilize in auto sound systems repair. Some members have been able to use them for repair of thier ML amps with good results. I don't know how they do it but it appears to be an alternative. I've put a link for them below.

Please come back and let us know how things workout.

PJ

http://unitedradio.com/automotive/

My repair order has a line, which reads...

“A RECOMMENDED REPLACING AMPLIFIER. SOP IS IN."

I do not know if the SOP came from the dealer, Lexus, or ML or if it was made up to pacify me.

I do know others with a similar AMP have had issues. I will press on.

• 1 month later...

I am also having a problem with my ML stereo, the subwoofer is bottoming out or separating on my new 2013 ES300H...depends on the song, but it seems to happen more often on xm radio, or pandora at level 43 and above. Lexus service is looking into the problem, I am waiting to hear back. It could be either amplifier settings, or the subwoofer is too shallow to handle the sound If you look at other lexus forums, there is a ongoing issue with ML system with many customers complaining. Anybody else out there with the same issue?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have the hybrid model. By my ML sounds great. I have to turn the base down though to one click LOWER than mid. Base could be a bit crisper when the system is louder. I haven't tried a cd in it yet though.

• 10 months later...

Well, it is now 2014 and I am still trying to work with Lexus to solve my ML problem. Corporate said the system operates as designed and until their was a bulletin nothing could be done. After waiting awhile for a bulletin about the problem, I had the dealer duplicate the problem with the subwoofer being unable to handle deep bass at a somewhat loud level. They contacted corporate and voila they were aware of the problem and the fix would be a new amplifier. Now the bass doesn't bottom out because there is now a very limited bass capability. The amplifier has redirected various frequencies away from the subwoofer and to other mostly front speakers. I can play the music loud but without bass. When I switch the controls to all back speakers and pump the bass up to the highest setting, very little bass sound, if any is heard! Practically no sound is coming out of the subwoofer at all. Corporate Lexus now says that the system works as designed and nothing more can be done. That is the same line I was given with the original system until I got my dealer to request a fix. If the first one worked as designed why did they try to fix it? I traded one problem for another. My dealer has worked with me well, however corporate has stonewalled me the whole way and continue to do so. Does anyone have an idea of what my next option could be? Thanks

• 1 month later...

I just bought a new ES300h with the Levinson system. I have one in my 2002 SC430 and it is fantastic (other than having speaker problems). I had to go to a costly premium package in order to get the ML, so had to get a lot of stuff I really didn't care about. I think the sound stinks. It is way too bright and the volume of the front center speaker is so loud, it overwhelms the other speakers. I'm not sure if this is normal and it's just my ears, or if something is wrong.

Anybody else experiencing this sound condition?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!!!! I'm having the same issue with bass distortion when the volume is turned up over 30! Last week I purchased a certified pre-owned 2013 ES350 with the Ultra Luxury Package. When listening to Beyonce's song Partition I noticed excessive bass distortion. To make sure the issue wasn't specific to this sound track, I listened to other music that has a lot of bass. The problem was replicated so I contacted the dealership. The subwoofer was replaced but the issue with bass distortion is still present. I'm going to call Lexus HQ today about the issue and if I don't like the response, I'll file a complaint with the Maryland Attorney General's office. It horrible that Lexus would continue selling cars with this type of problem and in my opinion, a recall should have been issued! Maybe the Lexus Owners should consider filing a class action lawsuit! The upgrade for ML is $4000.00 and I believe that Lexus should stand by their product!

Note: When I test drove the 2014 ES350 with Ultra Luxury Package, it didn't have this problem so I suspect that Lexus fixed the issue with the new model.

I just bought a new ES300h with the Levinson system. I have one in my 2002 SC430 and it is fantastic (other than having speaker problems). I had to go to a costly premium package in order to get the ML, so had to get a lot of stuff I really didn't care about. I think the sound stinks. It is way too bright and the volume of the front center speaker is so loud, it overwhelms the other speakers. I'm not sure if this is normal and it's just my ears, or if something is wrong.

Anybody else experiencing this sound condition?

6/18/2014

Since I originally posted this, I took the car back to the dealer. After a long session of adjustments, we attained settings that vastly improved the sound. I am now happy with the way the ML audio system sounds. The adjustments required the following settings: Disc & USB: Turn off ASL and Surround, turn fade towards back until it is just 2 clicks from rear, set tone controls Treble +2 Mid -1 Bass +3. For Radio: Everything same as Disc & USB. FM: Fade same as Disc & USB, Treble +2, Mid +1, Bass +3, ASL off, Surround on. AM: Fade same as Disc & USB, Tone flat, ASL off, Surround on. My only complaint now is that the volume just reaches the loudness I prefer (I like it on the loud side). The volume tops out at 62. I don't have iPod, etc. so I didn't play with any other source adjustments.

There shouldn't be any problem turning the ASL on, but the 300h is so quiet it hardly needs it. The purpose of the ASL is to gradually turn up the volume in relation to speed. When I have the volume set all the way up (62), it couldn't turn it up anyway.

The biggest improvement came from adjusting the fade until the sound from front and rear was equal. That setting is quite a ways to the back (just 2 clicks from all the way back). I am still amazed at the amount of adjusting that is necessary. I wonder how many new owners are at first disappointed as I was. As I said before, my SC430 required no adjustment at all and sounds fantastic.

Ray,

You probably have the old amplifier. Lexus replaced it with a new model in 2014. The way to check is to check the tag on the wiring of the amp. It can be found under the passenger seat. I no longer have the numbers that tell you which amp. you have, but I'm sure your dealer can tell you when you give them the number. Lexus will replace it with the new one at no charge.

Hi Staudtlar (and others),

Thanks for the information. I just spoke with Lexus Customer Satisfaction and was informed that "IF" the system is "functioning as designed" without defect, Lexus will NOT make any replacements and the responsibility lies with the dealership. The dealership agreed that there IS a problem with performance of the subwoofer, and is waiting to hear from Lexus Customer Satisfaction. Does anyone have suggestions on how to respond to this?

I haven't had to do anything like this, but I know Lexus is aware of a problem that was caused by the amp. even though they seem to be reluctant to admit it. I would tell them you want them to replace the amp. with the new one (assuming that the number on the amp. wire indicates you have the old one). Also, I would tell them the system is NOT 'functioning as designed" without defects because there is no way such an expensive system like ML would have bass distortion. You know Lexus is too good to put up with such poor sound. I have always gotten excellent support from my dealer.

RayDC,

Here is a picture of the wiring on a NEW amp. I'm not sure which number is the one to refer to,but probably the top one. Check to see how it compares to yours. If different, you have the old amp.

I got this from the Club Lexus Forums. Several members said they had replaced the sub, but it didn't work. Good luck!315136d1392071672-mark-levinson-audio-ph

Hi everyone,

If your a "DIY" type, go to Toyota Information Services or "TIS.com. This is Toyota's technical web site for Lexus, Toyota, and Scion cars. This service contains nearly everything you might want to know about your Lexus, including electrical. The fee for two days use is $15. An annual subscription is around $1,200.

If you have a question about your Lexus, even going back to 1990, give this tool a try.

Paul