Multi-Information System

Bruces10

I have a 2006 Lexus GX-470 and the Multi-information system began working intermittently. Recently, it has stopped working altogether. I checked all the fuses which reference the unit and they looked good. I then carried the vehicle into the local Toyota dealership and they ran the diagnostics (supposedly) and claimed the unit was getting power and quoted me approx. $650 for a new unit. Upon leaving the dealership found they had somehow messed up the electirical outlet which had been working prior.

Not sure I want to pay that much for new unit just to have the clock, outside temp, etc.... to work, but has anyone else had similar problems and what suggestions can you provide? I've already unhooked the battery cable hoping this would reset the computer or any issues, to no avail.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

Welcome to the LOC!

It sounds like you've got some trust issues with the Toyota dealer. You say they "supposedly" checked for power, and they had fouled-up the electrical outlet. Maybe what you need before parting with the $650 is a second opinion.

I searched our data base and only found one consistant issue with the information center, and that was for inaccurate outside temperature readings.

Hopefully others will drop in who have electronic/instrument skills.

Paul

Paul...you are quite observant. "Yes", I have "concerns" when it comes to certain auto dealerships who compensate Service Dept. personnel based on "commission only ", etc...(which is the case here). They are incentivized to generate as much service revenues as possible....while my objective is to find the quickest, most cost-effective solution to the problem.

As an example....I had a recent issue with my tire pressure monitoring system whereby the symbol on my guage stayed lit...even after confirming proper air pressure, etc... Took the vehicle to the local Toyota dealer, paid $47.50 for diagnotics and was quoted in excess of $400 to fix the problem. I carried the vehicle home, unhooked the battery cable so the on-board computer would clear all signals/messages would reset. Kept cable off battery for 30 seconds, hooked battery cable back up. Problem solved....no more issues.

Thanks for your post and hope someone can provide assistance or more info with my problem with the Multi-information system.

• 2 weeks later...