Es 300H Sound From Under Hood When Driver's Door Is Opened

When I open the driver's door on my 2013 300h either when I am entering the car the first time I drive it during the day or after the car has been parked for about an hour or longer, I hear a rather loud humming/buzzing type sound coming from under the hood on the passenger's side of the car. The service manager at the dealership where I bought the car did not know what it was, but checked a 300h that was on the dealership's show room floor and said he heard the same sound but did not know what it was. He then said he followed up with someone at "Lexus" who apparently told him that the sound is the ABS brake motor making sure the pressure is correct and that the sound is normal. If it is normal I am surprised that the service manager did not know what it was when I first asked--could I possibly have been the first 300h purchaser to call that sound to his attention? Plus my owner's manual has a page that talks about the sounds you may hear with the 300h, and I don't recall this one being mentioned. If anyone reading this post has a 2013 300h, please let me know if you also hear this sound when you first open the driver's door after the car has been sitting over night or after it has been sitting for about an hour or longer. Thanks for your help.

It is normal - our 2012 Prius Hybrid wagon does the same thing. Think about it. When you first take off from a stop in EV mode, the gasoline engine may not be running. That's why so many things that are normally driven by engine belts or engine vacuum on non-hybrid cars are electrically driven on hybrid cars. I assume your A/C compressor is also electrically driven as in our Prius.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an ES300h and also have the noise when opening the driver door. Nice to know it is normal and may be due to start up of ABS system although it's surprising that it doesn't occur when the car is actually started.

• 3 months later...

I always assumed that this is normal since this is my 4th Toyota hybrid but it's good to know that it's the ABS. I never actually asked the service technicians about it. Also about 5 minutes after turning off the vehicle I can hear some clicking noise as well. :)