Fast Startup Idle Speed On Es300

jbird

2000 ES300 has excessive rpms at cold engine startup and does not slow down to normal rpm until engine warms up. Causes car to jerk when shifting.

Has anybody had this problem and what corrected it???? Thanks

How badly does your car jerk? Does the jerking go away when the car is warmed up? It is normal for the car to run at higher RPMs after startup... it was engineered that way so that it will warm up faster. The shifting won't be "Lexus Smooth" because the shifting occurs at higher RPMs. If your car functions normally when it is warm, you don't have anything to worry about.

• 3 weeks later...
2000 ES300 has excessive rpms at cold engine startup and does not slow down to normal rpm until engine warms up. Causes car to jerk when shifting.

Has anybody had this problem and what corrected it???? Thanks

My 95 ES300 (as well as my moms 96 Avalon with the same engine) has the same problem. I have 108k. She has 65k. She had the ISC valve replaced under warranty (most are replaced due to low idle-I work for a Toyota dealer) and nothing changed. A fellow employee with a 94 ES with 145k also has the problem. It goes away in a couple minutes when warmed up, but who wants to wait that long to get going? I'm beginning to believe it's normal, but I hate jamming it into gear for fear of premature tranny and engine mount failure. Anyone have any other input?

My '95 ES does the same thing on cold mornings. I have also noticed that the tranny seems to stay in a lower gear longer causing higher rpms until the car is warmed up.

It has always done that as far as I can remember. I would say it's by design and not a problem, but I could be wrong.

I guess no one noticed the other posts .

The lexus engines and trannies ALL dile high to warm up for emmisions and the tranny only goes into normal shift pattern once it has reacheda normal operationg temperature to aid in self lubing the top end of the engine . It is not a problem it is normal. Wait around 30 - 60 seconds after turnign on the key for maximum lube before driving it is just preventative maintance. This is the main reason why so many owners who do not wait have a loud tapping noise from there valves.Since the tolerances have been worn away and toyota does not use self adjusting valve lash.