Range Approx...how Approximate?

Paddyz

I noticed my remaining mileage counter starts to accelerate very quickly once I have about 100 miles left. Is it common for you folks too? Right now, if the display says I have 70 miles remaining, I can actually get 50 if I am lucky.

Sometimes it’s less, sometimes it’s more. The remaining mileage is just an approximation. It’s adjusting all the time according to your driving speed, acceleration and many other factors.

Also, when you fill the tank, that starting figure is based on the last talk you just used. So if you just returned from a road trip it will set the tank estimation based on highway driving.

Wait until the low fuel warning light (looks like a gas pump) comes on, fill your tank and see if you have about 2.8 gallons left per the information on page 447 of your owners manual. The miles to refuel is just an estimate.

Thanks, guys! I have tried to reset the trip meter each time I refuel. When I use up the tank, I compare the trip meter to the initial Range Approx. The meter always comes short by about 30 miles. I noticed the Range estimate goes down much faster in the last 100 miles, compared to the first 200 miles where it pretty much matches the trip meter, mile for mile.

• 8 years later...