Premium Fuel

aportinga

In an earlier post I had mentioned that our LS was sputtering - sort of a hic-up when accelerating. Some of you suggested that this could be a spark plug issue - for which I have the parts to swap but have yet to do so.

In anycase me being the cynical type, I was putting regular fuel into the car when I drove it. My wife was as well (it's her car). She decided to go with the recomended premium and according to her the car seems to "hic-up" less then it did before.

So I guess the fuel really does make a difference?

Absolutely it makes a difference... and don't feel too bad about the price either, you get better mileage (as well as performance) from higher octane gas - the bottom line is miles per dollar, not miles per gallon. If you do the calculations (driving the same way), you'll see what I mean.

The next time you fill up (with premium I hope) dump in a bottle of Valoline Complete Fuel System Cleaner. It is available at every auto parts store for about $10. If you pay less, you have the wrong thing. You car will run better in a very short time.

I would never consider putting regular gasoline in my Lexux. Some gas station guy in NJ pit it in once and it ran terrible and made noise. I wasn't happy seeing as how I ususally always put my own gas in, but no... NJ has decided that people there are incapable of fueling their own vehicles. Then the dude puts in regular..

Oh well, it didn't seem to hurt the car long term or anything like that.

Plus, in most about states, Premium is $.10 per gallon more than regular. So, on a 22.5 gallon car you will only pay $2.25 more, when filling the whole tank. But this pays off when you get more MPG.

VBdenny: When my family moved to NC from NJ, I realized that one of the advantages of living in NC is that everyone fills up their own tank; and parking the Lexus at the gas station and filling it up with Premium Fuel is a rush.

Also, Valoline Complete Fuel System Cleaner have any short or long-term affect on the vehicle.

A higher ocatane is going to ignite later in the combustion process as it resists ignition more than regualr. It sounds backwards but it is how the engine was designed. This definatly comes into play when the engine is older and has carbon deposit buildup in the chamber which will cause preignition as well as a knock for an off timed igntion in a chamber ,thus your knocking or puttering. You may need a good fuel cleaning like a motorvac. Th bottled stuff works but only so good. A motorvac uses high presure cleaing in the fuel rail and cleans all the crap out of the engine.99% of people say the car drives like it was new after as all the carbon removed incerases mpg and horsepower by reducing backpressure and leaking valves.

I was just about to start a topic about what chemicals and things that one should do prior to the Throttle body cleaning and after words. Since, Throttle body cleaning is emphazied so much, because of its importance, I think there should be a pinned topic about it, this issue's importance is just right next to the burned LCD issue.

Plus, in most about states, Premium is $.10 per gallon more than regular. So, on a 22.5 gallon car you will only pay $2.25 more, when filling the whole tank. But this pays off when you get more MPG.

VBdenny: When my family moved to NC from NJ, I realized that one of the advantages of living in NC is that everyone fills up their own tank; and parking the Lexus at the gas station and filling it up with Premium Fuel is a rush.

Also, Valoline Complete Fuel System Cleaner have any short or long-term affect on the vehicle.

I agree 100% that premium should be used in these cars and it is not much more, but I have never seen premium only .10 cents higher than premium. I guess I live in one of the "other" states that does not offer this. Around here it is about .25 cents higher per gallon, except at one of the local supermarket chains that offer premium at mid grade price every Friday- which is when I get my gas for the Lexus. Last time I filled it up it was $1.65 or 1.67 per gallon.

As a matter of interest I have a 94 ls and a few months ago when I first started it after it sat for 3-5 days it would spit out white smoke and run rough for a few minuites. The Lexus parts guy suggested that I use Chevron Technon additive. This solved the problem. I now use it or another good additive every 3-5,000 miles and have never used any octane less than 100, usually 103. Definately worth it.

In Virginia Beach, gasoline is about $1.60 for regular and maybe $1.75 for Premium. I don't really pay much attention to the price of gas though. I think when I was in north Jersey last weekend, I paid $1.69 for premium.

I don't care at all for having other people put gas in my car. It might be a nice convienence for some, but I would rather not have anyone touching my car.

Regarding the Valoline Complete Fuel System clean, I have used it for year in all my vehicles and I stand by the fact it works great. I have also used the Chevron stuff and that also seems to work great. I have never noticed any detrimental effects.

The next time you fill up (with premium I hope) dump in a bottle of Valoline Complete Fuel System Cleaner. It is available at every auto parts store for about $10. If you pay less, you have the wrong thing. You car will run better in a very short time.

I would never consider putting regular gasoline in my Lexux. Some gas station guy in NJ pit it in once and it ran terrible and made noise. I wasn't happy seeing as how I ususally always put my own gas in, but no... NJ has decided that people there are incapable of fueling their own vehicles. Then the dude puts in regular..

Oh well, it didn't seem to hurt the car long term or anything like that.

VBDenny:

I'm surprised you didn't sue the fuel company!

You guys are still using your LSs and SCs! I stopped using mine about a month ago, when the fuel prices near me went up to $1.98 for Premium.

I think I've mentioned about adding Octane Booster to regular fuel, and it should prevent any fuel injection and ignition problems. Most of these companies claim it doesn't reduce/damage anything, and they're guaranteeing the product. You can always go after the company for any problems that may occur due to this.