Guys Help W/ Transmission Fluid !

I Have something really weird and i need your help !

1993 gs 300 w 67k . When i check the tranny fluid cold it is 1 1/2 over the full hot mark ! when i run the car for one hour it shows less on the stick. I thought warm fluid expands ! Any ideas what the problem could be ? And why cold would it be so high ?

thx for your help ! great site !

It will show higher when the car is not running as fluid has drained back into the pan from other areas. 1 1/2 is equal to quarts. If you have no probs , I wouldn't worry about it till you are ready to change it. Which should be pretty soon if it's dark colored. The tranny holds 14 quarts, if you cange it by draining you're onlu getting to 6 quarts. So take it to a shop and have them do a tranny flush and exchange.

turbogs,

thx for responding - ok so the fluid is droping back into the pan - ok thx wonder why the manual says it should be lower -stupid

one big question you believe that 1 1/2 inches on the stick represents 1 1/2 qts???

thx

turbogs,

thx for responding - ok so the fluid is droping back into the pan - ok thx wonder why the manual says it should be lower -stupid

one big question you believe that 1 1/2 inches on the stick represents 1 1/2 qts???

thx

It will be slightly lower if you check it with the car running. Don't worry about it, it's not like a motor where it's going to hit the crank if you have to much fluid. If it's dark go ahead and change it , if not sail on!

jbar/turbo,

thx ! yea car running 45 minutes shifted gears fr park to low and back ! left it running level ground- 1 1/2" over hot line after running 45 minutes and doing above. drained 2 qts and i measured two qts. stick was then in cool area on stick after 45 min running - see below

problem is unable to get a proper reading !

1- 1 1/2" over hot after 45 min runn/level/switch gears

2- when cold 2' over hot

3- drained 2 qts (meas. out )

4- when cold shows at hot full line

5- when running 45 min/level/switch gears- it is in cool level

Can draining two quarts amount to 4 or 5 inches or more on the dipstick ?? :censored:

thx guys-

It will be slightly lower if you check it with the car running. Don't worry about it, it's not like a motor where it's going to hit the crank if you have to much fluid. If it's dark go ahead and change it , if not sail on!

Do you know what happens when there IS too much fluid in the old gearbox? You get a volcanic eruption of hot fluid out of the dipstick tube, leaving a lovely aroma which will most likely be with the car for a long, long time. :o