New Member Needs Help

moxie

Greetings,

Well after searching for 45 minutes I didnt find what I needed so I hope someone can help.

Our 95 LS400 idles pretty high on cold days (less than 95 in Phoenix lol)

It is usually around 1400 rpm with the car in automatic climate control.

Once its warmed up the problem goes away, and like I mentioned on 95+ days it seems fine from the get go.

The engine hasnt tripped a code or thrown a CEL.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

:cheers:

I believe this is common for the Gen I & II engines... it's Lexus's way of warming up the car a little quicker.

My 99 starts up right to 1300 rpm or so and immediately falls to around 1000.

I drive slowly thru the neigborhood (1 mile) to let warm a little...

Once warm...is your idle @ 750 rpm (+ or - 50 rpm's)?

I believe this is common for the Gen I & II engines... it's Lexus's way of warming up the car a little quicker.

My 99 starts up right to 1300 rpm or so and immediately falls to around 1000.

I drive slowly thru the neigborhood (1 mile) to let warm a little...

Once warm...is your idle @ 750 rpm (+ or - 50 rpm's)?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Once warm the idle is around 700 or so.

How long does it take for yours to resume normal idle?

I'll run some more detailed tests over the course of the week, anything else specific I should look for?

Also, is there a way to adjust the idle, or check codes other than a handheld tester?

yes, agent 99 hit it on the head

in the gen 1-2 cars it is very normal for the car upon start up to idle high. get the oil circulating and such. so just drive the car easy until the temp is at half way, then the idle upon stop should be back to normal.

I asked the dealer about the high idle at start up on my 90 LS. They said it is normal and is not adjustable. Mine idles at 1600RPM until warmed up, then it drops to 600. I just have always felt that it really idled high.

this is absolutely normal for 1uzfe, i would recommend turning the climate control off while engine is heating up. try not to drive until rpm drops to normal level.

Thanks for all of the replies folks.

I was doing some research last night when the car was warm, and I was wondering if you could provided some insight for me.

Once the car is warm the idle drops like everyone said, but the car idles too high with the A/C on and the transmission in gear.

Idle Speeds

Park A/C Off - 650 +-50

Park A/C On - 650 +-50

Neutral A/C Off - 650 +-50

Neutral A/C On - 650 +-50

L, 1, 2, 3, D, R A/C Off - 650 +-50

L, 1, 2, 3, D, R A/C Off - 900-1000

The problem isnt horrible, but sitting a stoplight you have to apply the brakes pretty hard when the engine is pushing close to 1000rpm.

Any help here? And thanks again for all the help :)

once again its normal

as far as i know

my car does the same thing. when the car is in drive and i turn the ac on car jerks forward and i have to apply brakes to prevent it from moving:)

Moxie,

THis line where you meant A/C ON I assume.....

I would think this is "hanging" just a little to high...but no bad (as VMF has said)

This would bug me too ;)

I know my old honda 4 cyl.. would boost the idle just a touch with the AC on, but the beefy LS V8 doesn't seem to budge. This does not happen on my 99 LS.

I'll be more observant as I drive today and report back :D

(Air Filter Dirty????)

Moxie,

THis line where you meant A/C ON I assume.....

I would think this is "hanging" just a little to high...but no bad (as VMF has said)

This would bug me too ;)

I know my old honda 4 cyl.. would boost the idle just a touch with the AC on, but the beefy LS V8 doesn't seem to budge. This does not happen on my 99 LS.

I'll be more observant as I drive today and report back :D

(Air Filter Dirty????)

Oops my bad on that one.

Thanks for all the replies... if this is just the way it is I'm kinda bothered. :/

Thanks for checking, and thanks as well VMF

P.S. Airfilter has been in for about 4days, just replaced. This problem has been evident ever since I got the car about 2 years ago, it has just started to irritate me.