Traded In 2013 Gs350 Awd

• First Name:charles
  • Model: LS460
  • Year: 2013

Posted Yesterday, 05:27 PM

SO..........BOUGHT A 2013 GS350 AWD WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT. GREAT CAR, QUICK, HI-TECH BUT APPARENT ROAD NOISE AND LACK OF SPACE AFTER THE 2010 LS460 I TRADED IN. However it handled outstanding!

STILL WENT AHEAD AT PUT CHROME LUMINARI WHEELS WITH RUN-FLATS(LIVE IN THE DESERT)ON TO PREVENT BAD SITUATIONS. WIFE DECIDED WE NEEDED TO GO BACK TO A LS460. SO REMOVED THE RUNFLATS,PUT THE STOCK WHEELS BACK ON AND TRADED IT IN ON A 2013 LS460 AWD WITH PREMIUM PACKAGE AND 19IN WHEELS. GREAT CAR. CRUISES LIKE YOU ARE IN YOUR LIVING ROOM BUT STILL WILL GO WHEN NEEDED! ONLY COMPLAINT IS THE MICHLIN ALL SEASON TIRES IT CARE WITH ECO-FRIENDLY LOW ROLLING RESISTANCE BUT POOR IN THE RAIN AND LIGHT SNOW! THE GS350 CAME WITH MUCH BETTER MICHLIN TIRES! WHAT WAS THAT ALL ABOUT ! DEALER HAD NO ANSWER. OTHER THAN THAT A GREAT AUTOMOBILE.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Charles and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

Each model of Lexus comes with a set of tires specifically picked for the dynamics of that model. Over the years I and others have exchanged information about what tires they think are best for their specific needs just as you have, and man, this can be a hot topic for some owners have strong opinions about what brands/specs are the best.

My 2013 ES350 came with Bridgestones but I have had better performance with Michelin Primacy's. I had the dealer take off the Bridgestone and put on the Michlein's.

You might post in the LS460 forum for some other input, or do a search and see what others have posted.

Paul

The runflats you put on would explain your noise issues...

No! It was do to insulation and window fit compared to the LS460 I bought. The runflats are Bridgestone RE960s(little or no noise)

If they were the right size for myLS460 they would be on it instead of in the garage!

Road noise typically is not a function of window insulation or fit. My GS350 is VERY quiet, with little to no road noise or wind noise. I've driven the LS extensively (my Dad had two) and while its certainly quieter (as you would expect since they are $30,000 more), the difference is not incredible.

Runflats are notorious for noise and a hard ride. In fact the 3GS came with runflats but Lexus switched back to regular tires for the 4GS because of overwhelming customer complaints. I'd never put runflats on a vehicle.

Road noise typically is not a function of window insulation or fit. My GS350 is VERY quiet, with little to no road noise or wind noise. I've driven the LS extensively (my Dad had two) and while its certainly quieter (as you would expect since they are $30,000 more), the difference is not incredible.

Runflats are notorious for noise and a hard ride. In fact the 3GS came with runflats but Lexus switched back to regular tires for the 4GS because of overwhelming customer complaints. I'd never put runflats on a vehicle.

Sorry......I owned a 2013 Gs350 and now a 2013 LS460 BIG difference in road and wind noise! The Bridgestone RE960 All Season Runflats are not a issue. I had them on A 2010 LS460 also. One of the few that are not noisy or rough riding! I live in the desert(mesquite Nv) and to change a tire or wait on AAA in 110 degrees is not a position I want to be in. However to each his own.

Perhaps there was something wrong with your 2013 GS. I know there is a TSB to replace the non-laminated glass on the lower package GS with the laminated glass of the luxury package GS because of wind noise, mine is the luxury package. There is no wind noise, there is also very little road noise. Obviously the GS is a sportier car than the LS by design, so there is a level of connection to the road that the LS doesn't have.

I drove a 2010 LS460 back to back with a 2013 GS before I bought the GS, and while the LS is quieter no doubt as it is supposed to be, its not dramatically quieter, and the GS is certainly also very quiet.

I'm not quite sure why you went to the GS from the LS in the first place. Did you test drive the GS first? The LS is a much bigger car.