E-z Pass

VBdenny

I have been using E-Z Pass for about a year and a half and think it is excellent. Without a doubt, it saves a great deal of time. I use it mainly in Delaware (Rt 1) Delaware Memorial Bridge, New Jersey Turnpike, GSP, and bridges and stuff around NYC. I also know they have it in Tulsa because I use to live there. In Virginia they use this stupid "Smart Tag" (which it isn't since no one else uses it) but I heard they got bought out by E-Z Pass.

My one thought about the E-Z Passwhichconcerns me is this, I know they have speed limits on the toll booths and send tickets, but it seems very simple for them to look at where and what time I got on, and where and what time I got off and then figure out my average speed was well in excess of whatever "strickly enforced" limit they have?

The only reason I can figure why the don't do this is this, who would use it if they did that? Not me.

As I am watching the Sapranos, I notice Tony takes a ticket on the NJ Turnpike, and doesn't use E-Z Pass. I guess in certain lines of work using E-Z Pass could be a problem.

What are your thoughts on E-Z Pass?

Denny (from VB)

• 1 month later...

Ez pass alllows us to go through tolls like bridges and tunnells etc without having to stop and pay a toll.It is automatically billed off of our EZpass.In NJ the tunrpike has 55mph Ezpass toll zones now so we dont even have to slow down at all on those.Ezpass is great driving though the tolls with no lines while all those cash guys are waiting to pay with cash scroungin for money in their pockets.EZpass also gives discounts so it is cheaper than paying cash.

If your car has a windhield that has a factory suntint built in, the windshield EZ pass won't work. They make another one that mounts to your front license plate for cars with tinting. Call EZ Pass and they have a list of cars that must use the license plate type transmitter.

It sure saves a lot of time on a trip not stopping to pay tools.

I wouldn't be without itit's . Senna, no toll roads in Canada? I guess since the US has slightly overdrawn bank account we will probably see more and more toll roads since there is not much money available for new roads. Better to pay and go, than not pay and not go I guess.

It sonds like the EZ Pass is something similar to what we have down here in New Orleans to get across the Cresent City Connection. I have the little cartridge that is velcroed to my winsheild. This thing is a life saver; plus, it's cheaper to get across the river- $.40 v $1. Is this what the EZ Pass looks like? Look right above my inspection sticker.....

DSC00059.sized.jpg

I decided not to put it on my windshield perminantly when I got the Lexus so I ordered one of these:

www.ezclip.com

It has suction cups. I dont use it all the time as the only tolls are when I travel so it hangs out in the glove box until I need it. Actually it will work in the glove box...

We got toll discounts here when it first came out but not anymore :(

The only toll road in Toronto is one outside the city called the 407 great for driving around the city if you need to get somewhere faster as it is curved. It also has a transponder.

My cousin has an ez pass but has the liscense plate one which also seems to block police radar from working properly almost like a jammer. the windsheild one has problems with the tinting and also acts up on navagation systems. Which is why it is no longer easily available unless you have a predetermined car,usually a luxury one.

This is atleast what i have been told by my cousin in edison New Jersey.

In the Chicagoland area we have I-Pass (Illinois Pass) and it's extremely convenient. On a couple of the tollways they've recently added 55mph I-Pass lanes but most of them are 30mph. I've been able to pass through them at 15mph above the posted limit and still have the transponder react, no problem :rolleyes:

We don't have the luxury of a discount though ;)

If they started ticketing I-Pass users through the mail who got to the next toll booths too quicky there'd be a lotta uproar (big-brother :blink: ) and they'd make a ton of revenue. The tollway I use most often has a posted speed limit of 55 and last year the local news reported that the AVERAGE speed for that highway is 70. I more than make up for those driving 55 ...

I've heard on a toll-road in Florida they issue tickets to drivers who arrive at the pay booth with their toll ticket too soon. Has anyone experienced or heard of that?