Starter?

jimmyc1969

I have read most of the posts i could find on starting problems but Am still confused on my problem. First I think I have a bad starter but let me detail the facts. The car started up fine generally however occasionally it would not start and i would hear one click sound and nothing. Matter of fact all the dashboards lights would go out and then when trying to restart nothing would respond and all power seemed to be gone as nothing would work i.e the trunk opener. I cleaned battery post, etc and worked for a bit. Of Recent car will not start, when i turn the ignition i hear a (one Click) and nothing and then the power to everything is cut nothing work steering wheel doesnt move etc. I try to jump the car and nothing same thing. Is this my starter? Doesnt appear to be battery or connection as when there is power lights are bright and evertthing works.

That is a tough call. It sound to me like you are not getting enough electrical current to the starter. I'd check and make sure the battery ground to both the body and engine block are clean. I had a friend (not with a Lexus) who had a bad body ground and it really caused problems, not unlike what you are experiencing.

Ok checked the grounds and no problems there. I have a 90 LS 400 would like to check the starter relay is the 99 doc above the same for 90? Where is the starter relay. I understnd changing the starter out is a real PAIN so i want to test as much as i can. Sounds like if I rule out voltage and relay then likely starter

Battey test good.

I had cleaned the posts of both the positive and negative prior to posting here so thought connection couldnt be problem. I just looked at another Lexus and noticed that my connections to the battery were not the original lexus connections and had a few screws on the clamps associated with them. One of them on the postive terminal clamp was tight but not real tight and I tightened it up and so far no problems.

Yeah but the "click" is what got my attention. In almost every circiumstance I have seen where you get a "click", it is usually due to low voltage not reaching the starter. The click means it works but doesn't have enough juice. Starters are strange things in that they usually go by getting nothing. Leave your headlights on when you crank it and see if they really dim a lot.

Before you jump into starter replacement make absolutely certain that your battery isn't defective. I have seen batteries "test" fine, but they aren't. You must do a load test to see what the current draw does to it. Almost every auto parts store will do this for free, I know Advance does.

Starters are no fun to replace as it is located under the intake manifold. You can see it by using a small flashlight and a mirror.

this is def not battery. when power cuts off to the whole car you should check all the fuses as well as how many vots and ampers your battery is giving out. there might be a shortage somewhere near the starter and that is why the current voltage is dropped below minimal for all the electrical devices in the car. check starter relays and cirquitry as i think 90% the problem is there

Guys this is something to need to be aware of. We had a 97 Ls400 came in our shop a month ago. Our client brought the vehicle to a local lexus dealership for a starting problem(don't want to name name). They quoted her $1200 for a starter job. She thought it is a little too much so she decided to give us a call. The vehicle came in. Getting 13.4V from the battery, pop out cover for battery water. No it is low and the positive end terminal is broke off. We top off the water, charged the battery and replaced the positive terminal for her. She thanked us. We saved her $1200. Check your little stuffs before jumping into the starter job. Have gun guys.

JPI

I had similar symptoms with my 92. It turned out to be a funky cell and it passed most of the tests. The load test is where it showed itself. My conclusion was that this car freaks out without a good battery. At least swap a battery from another car to completely rule out the battery.