Side Mirrors Tilt Down Feature Stopped Working

bawe

A cute useful feature in my prior es models is that when you put the car in reverse gear, and move the adjustment toggle for the side view mirrors to the R or L position, the side mirrors tild down so you can see what is on the ground on both car sides. When I first bought my 2013 this feature worked fine, just as in my prior es models. But, after a few months, it stopped working. I'm about 2 months from my next service and the dealer is about an hour away. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Fairly common problem. Other posts on here have addressed it.

The usual cause is stripped plastic gears requiring replacement. Hope the car is still under warranty.

It is not common for both mirrors to go bad at the same time if that is your car's situation. That may indicate a different solution.

Thank you Gary.

Both sides are bad, but in different ways. Right side jerks up slightly while left side doesn't do anything.

Car is 8 months old with 12,000 miles, so it is under warranty.

I will wait for my next service appointment.

You might try using the mirror switches while the car is in Reverse, and adjust them where you want then. Mine were going too far down initially, and doing that let them find a new position when placed in Reverse, but still returned to the driving setting when placed back in Drive.

Jim,

Thank you so much. It worked, just as you said. You are a lot smarter about this than the people I spoke to over the phone at my Lexus dealer.

This is actually a valuable feature and the sales and service people at the dealerships should be more tuned in to it.

--Barry

By the way, I think I now know what caused my problem. I probably set the seat memory button (which includes the side view mirrors) while the adjustment toggle for the side view mirrors was in the R or L position.

Like they say, two heads are better than one!. Glad your back in busuness "bawe".

You mentioned "GDixion" that this has been a common problem and that there have been several post about it. Are you speaking about the 2013 ES specificaly, or other model years as well. I haven't heard of Lexus putting out a TSB for the issue. Can you fill me in some more.

Paul

Search "mirror tilt" on LOC in various models. Ten pages of results (not every one about mirror tilt, but most).

No TSB that I know of but there should be. Yes, my driver's side mirror has the issue.

Other search terms might reveal more hits.

Like they say, two heads are better than one!. Glad your back in busuness "bawe".

You mentioned "GDixion" that this has been a common problem and that there have been several post about it. Are you speaking about the 2013 ES specificaly, or other model years as well. I haven't heard of Lexus putting out a TSB for the issue. Can you fill me in some more.

Paul

Thanks for your response Gary. What I was curious about was if you meant the 2013 's were having this problem in particular and that the 2013's and the failure rate was well beyond previous occasions.

Your correct about the perception of the problem when your search comes up. But I wouldn't agree that it's a common problem on the late model ES series.

Thanks for the info.