Paint Coming Off Outside Mirror Brackets

Has anyone else had the paint on the brackets that hold on both outside mirrors all peal off. Mine is a 97 that I purchased new. All the paint has come off to reveal the white underneath. The brackets are not metal, but seem to be some kind of composite or plastic material. The paint on the mirror housings is still perfect. So just wondering if I am the only one with the problem.

I have a 97 Oyster Pearl and the paint has half peeled off on the passenger side mirror. It started peeling about 18 months ago. It sounds like there should have been a warranty repair.

Also, the black decorative pillar between the side windows is delaminating below the surface.

Well well well. There seems to be a pattern here. My lexus was also Oyster Pearl.

Also my black pillar did the same a few years ago. That I can live with. The mirrors look like crap. Did anyone go back to the dealer for the paint problem?

• 1 month later...

I just purchased a 97 ES300 and happened to see this info. on the mirrors. My Lexus is Silver and grey. The paint has chipped off both mirror brackets to reveal an offwhite rough undercoating. Thanks for this info. I have contacted the dealer and Lexus home office to see if they will help fix--haven't gotten confirmation yet, but I believe they are going to assist. Also the delamination has occurred as someone else mentioned.

• 2 months later...

I too also have a 97 ES300 Oyster Pearl and the paint has peeled off of the mirror brackets!!!!!! I am trying to sell it and need to find matching spray paint. I can't seem to locate the Oyster Pearl. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Also my black pillars have peeled. Also my LCD on the radio has gone bad.

I wonder why I am upgrading to the GX470?

Let me knwo if you know of a car parts store that carries the Oyster Pearl. Thx.

-Brian

• 5 weeks later...

;)

OK, I was NOT able to find spray paint for the the Oyster Pearl. Even the touch up was hard to find. So for $75 I am having the Lexus-Approved body shop paint the brackets. The mirrors are also being painted so they match. That is a deal at $75 (but way more than a $4 can of spray paint). Oh well.

For sale: '97 ES300 with only 62,000 miles! Asking high blue book: 12,900.