Rx300 Belt Noise

michaelbmike

I have a 2001 RX300 with belt noise (sounds like a bad belt), alternator, smog pump(?). Repalced the belts with new NAPA belts and still have noise. This noise is most notable when engine is about 2000rpm.

Last night I pulled the belts and cleaned all the pulleys. Lubricated the alternator shaft, reinstalled belts, then adjusted the tension. Checked pully alignments for paralellism. Started engine and the noise is still there. What else should I check? Could it be the timing belt? It has about 85000 miles on this belt.

sometimes the aftermarket belts have a slightly different v shape...However when you tensioned, a method I use is to take the longest stretch of belt and try to twist the belt 90 degrees...you should not be able to do this if the belt is properly tensioned. You could spray some belt lubricant on the belt and see if the squeeling goes away, if it does then the belts are not tight enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 2001 RX300 last Saturday with 120K on it. Once in a while, after starting it, the belt makes a high pitched squeal. If I turn off the engine and restart it, most of the time it goes away immediately. It's only done it like twice in the past week. We haven't gotten in there to check the belt yet since it's been raining all week.

Were you able to determine the cause of the squeal and what did you do to get rid of it? Thanks!

Charlene