Swaping Instrument Cluster

dro

Will an instument cluster out of any year sc400 work in a 93 model sc400? Are the connectors the same or modifiable. One of my needles are burnt and after reading about the fixes available I thought I might simply replace the whole cluster with a used one...maybe even go with a cluster out of a newer one since they seem to be nicer on the eyes.

Thanks,

Dro

Don't know about the swap, but you have to be careful about the different mileage. If you swap with one you pretty much will loose alot of cash on the resale value. I ran into the same problem when I put a JDM Impreza cluster in my Impreza. The cluster from Japan had 7km on it, imagine me trying to explain how a '99 Impreza from the US only had 7km on it!!! hehehe

BTW, if you do buy a cluster out of another car, you should be able to take it to a Lexus/Toyota dealership and let them change it and they will document the change and give you a piece of paper saying it was changed and what the mileage was on the original cluster and what the mileage of the new (used) cluster was so that it is documented, it won't hurt your resale value as much. If they say they can't do it call BS on them as I know alot of people in the Subaru groups that has done it before.

Kyle

Thanks for the replies guys. As far as the mileage goes...I would definetely document the change (mostly for my own benefit). The car has 183,000 miles on it with full doc's and with a couple exceptions, exclusively serviced at the dealer.

I checked out the ebay auction and it sounds like it is probably the way to go. I just dont know how I can handle the 9 day "down time". In all my years of owning cars I have never owned any vehicle that is closer to perfection as this car.

I own a body shop and have many car dealerships as my customers. As a result I'm able to drive almost every make and model of cars to and from my shop.

About 2 years ago I had the privilage of driving my first SC400 to the shop and was so impressed that I asked the dealer if I could take it for a day to get a better feel for it.

I would have bought that particular car but it was kinda rough. Two more came across my path that I turned down because of mileage or color and I was kicking myself ever since.

When I stumbled apon this one I didnt make the same mistake and havent looked back.

I have a 93 SC400 with 210k miles on it - best car I have ever had - but my instrument cluster needles have almost all gone out. I have been following this thread and would like to (1) do a short term fix by replacing the needles - how involved is this procedure and where/how do I order the needles on Ebay (I cannot locate them) and (2) longer term would like to replace the cluster in total - where are the best places to look for an instrument cluster?

thanks

jim

well good choice!

why dont you just do the needle replacement your self? it would seem that it would be much quicker. oh and did you find out if the needles are available in red?

is it as simple as pulling the needle out and pushing a new/replacement one in?

i'm reading on CL that there are other stuff in there and etc. how do u calbrate the needle once it's out. does it just go in 1 one position?

• 9 months later...

if you wanted a red needle, just get the white one and put a little red perminant marker on the face. The white light produced will go through the red marker and look red. Simple but it works great. Any other color 2 as long as u have that color marker...