City 22 Mpg / Highway 30 Mpg - How Does It Sound To You?

Lesux

Today, for the first since I bought my 2009 ES 350 (19,000 miles) in February, I had an opportunity to go on the highway.

I set the cruise control at 62 mph (100km/h) for 240 miles and obtained 30 MPG (US), or 36 MPG (CAN) or 7.4l/100km.

Driving strictly in the city (no highway at all), I manage 22 MPG (US), or 26 MPG (CAN).

One thing I find fascinating as well as puzzling, is the following: When driving on the highway, the engine RPM was constant at 1,800. And when I drive in the city, I basically never go higher than 1,700 RPM. I tend to stay between 1,400 and 1,600 (yes, I am the slowest driver on the road - and at the next traffic light, I catch up with at least 80% of all the drivers who passed me ;) I basically never reach 1,800 rpm during my daily commute and yet, I am having a lower mpg.

In the past, I always had higher mpg on highway compared with city, but that was when I was driving a European car and I was driving like a freaking maniac reaching rpm in the 3,000 from every traffic light. I always was the fastest kid on the bloc.

I forgot to say, I only use regular (87) gas.

Anyway, your 2 cents is welcome.

You will always have higher MPG on the highway than in the city. The engine is much more efficient at at steady even speed than it is accelerating/decelerating, etc. Remember also when stopped the MPG is 0. The only vehicles that get better mileage in the city vs the highway are hybrids due to the regenerative brakes.

Doesn't matter how carefully you drive in the city, MPG will always be better on the highway.

You will always have higher MPG on the highway than in the city. The engine is much more efficient at at steady even speed than it is accelerating/decelerating, etc. Remember also when stopped the MPG is 0. The only vehicles that get better mileage in the city vs the highway are hybrids due to the regenerative brakes.

Doesn't matter how carefully you drive in the city, MPG will always be better on the highway.

You are entirely correct. I grossly underestimated the fuel wasted due to temporary stops.

Nevertheless, I am very proud of my 30 mp(USA)g with the ES 350 :)

• 2 weeks later...

My mpg were calculated using distance traveled and exact filling up of gas tank (until it is impossible to add one more drop). I am not sure that the car mpg meter provides an accurate reading.

• 3 months later...

2008 ES 350, 180,000 miles, 87 octane, synthetic oil only, tires at 32psi = 24 city/ 29hwy and the wife drives it at 70-75 all day. But she drives like an old lady around town...go figure. :wacko:

My mpg were calculated using distance traveled and exact filling up of gas tank (until it is impossible to add one more drop). I am not sure that the car mpg meter provides an accurate reading.

I use miles driven and actual gallons purchased on each fill up.

• 2 months later...

Also remember that fuel consumption is far more dependant on engine load than it is on RPM. So when you are accelerating at 1,700 rpm's, your instantaneous fuel consumption is probably in the single digits. Once you're at a steady state speed the instantaneous fuel mileage goes up dramatically.

Example: my little Mazdaspeed3 turns about 3,000 rpm doing 75 mph and yields a consistent 30mpg on the freeway.

BTW, I recently inherited an ES350, and am happy to hear that this kind of freeway mileage is possible.